Bait and Switch complaint

We did the old bait and switch.

4 Likes

Do drop in. I will DM you my mobile number to text if you are coming down this way. I am sure I can give your friend some local colour.

1 Like

This is the bit that is very confusing. How come they didn’t notice straightaway that it was not the apartment they were expecting? What did they seem like when you met them? It all sounds very fishy to me. Not from your end, I hasten to add, from theirs.

edit awaiting a gold star for being on topic :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Ritz3 this was not a 3rd party booking, the guests booked their own stay.

1 Like

I have heard back from my Airbnb “case worker”; she wrote that she had tried reaching the guest via platform messaging and phone calls; she indicated that there was no reply from the guests. I went to the apartment to check if they were still there (they were not, they checked out) and the place looked fine. It’s been over 12 hours since the guest contacted me; very odd. If you look at the photos of my two places, you will notice that I offer very nice and comfortable, yet no glamorous or hip, properties. I have no idea what happened…

1 Like

Your place is beautiful, thanks for sharing the link. Our set up is similar to yours it seems but we don’t have a locked door at the top of the stairs. I am curious about one thing, does you kitchenette have a sink? Is there running water in there? If not, and guests cook, how do they clean dishes? I’m asking because we keep debating on how much to put in our space as we don’t have a sink in the buffet area…

I doubt you’ve heard the last on this. Why someone would pull such a stunt is another question.

@KKC Maybe the guest who booked got confused; maybe on one day he identified the property he wanted, and the next day he booked what he thought was the place he had mentally selected the day before but made a mistake and booked my place that might have been in the same area as the one he really wanted. Once he got to my place he might have realized that something went wrong but didn’t want to own up to his mistake and thought that by “turning the table” and blaming me he could get his money back and move to the other place…but these are mere conjectures…will keep you posted on the outcome…

2 Likes

On the right through the door past the kitchenette is the European laundry nook which has the laundry sink and a washer/dryer and a light. I put a towel and dish rack on top of the washing machine for drying plates and a bucket in the laundry sink as it is quite big. I’ve thought of converting it using a proper kitchen sink+drainer unit that fits the space and putting the washer dryer under it but that’s for a future project. No one has ever complained but then again no one goes on holiday to spend time washing dishes either.

Also I say there is a locked door at the top of the stairs to emphasise it is private but don’t tell them the lock is on my side. It cost me about $1500 to get the stud wall and door erected and painted but really meant I could charge more and also have privacy myself.

3 Likes

Love the aqua blue! twenty!!!

I’m so sorry this happened with your listing. I think people can get confused after looking at several listings.

My neighbor’s condo is a 3rd floor mirror image of my 1st floor condo. The units are furnished very differently but many of our exterior pictures look almost identical—front of building, pool, grill area, docks. He received a scathing review about it being in the 3rd floor & in need of updating. I think his guest thought he had rented my condo (advertised as 1st floor, recently renovated).

1 Like

Maybe they suffer from something and they get confused sometimes. If they have blood clots or something. That’s the risc with old people.

I am laughing myself silly. To many I am an old person. My last birthday I now have moved to checking a higher box age wise.

We old people occasionally look at 20 & 30 something’s and wonder WTH are they thinking!?!

By the way clots can equal stroke so far worse than a bit of confusion how ever I’m liking using that as an excuse.

1 Like

Me too. I’ve added “blood clots” to the list of excuses when I forget something.

1 Like

With you there Miss Miami. When in doubt, follow the money. They want a full refund having stayed the night. Cannot be certain but it’s more than a little harsh.

Wha…wh…Your space is utterly fantastic. I dont understand. Are these the toned down photos? Either way, I dont think there is anything disguised. Yes, they are great photos but they don’t lie!?

1 Like

I had a kind of similar situation twice in recent months at different homes. First one guest arrived at 6pm and had booked two nights. Instantly messaged me saying it’s nice but not what I expected so we won’t be staying and want our money back. Second one they checked in and made incredibly flimsy cleaning issues. Stripped the bed and found an eyelash. Found a tiny half ring from the sauce bottle on a chopping board that had gone through the dishwasher. I sent the cleaner around to rectify the issues but they left saying it was too filthy to stay in.

Both of them fought hard to get their money back but neither received any refund.

2 Likes

Update: Airbnb tried connecting with the guest but apparently the guest didn’t respond to voice messages or messages; the guest didn’t reach out to me after our call (during which he listed all of his complaints and accusation that he got the “wrong” apartment). The guest left about 12 hours after checking in; there was no damage to the apartment. No money was refunded to the guest.
Fast forward 14 days; the guest’s review was posted; the guest wrote “I would not recommend it” in his native language…apparently he didn’t provide a star rating (is that even allowed?).

2 Likes