Badly reviewed guest attempting to book w/ new account?

Maybe. No disrespect/sexism was intended. Certainly there are variety of pronoun preferences available for a person to pick from but we didn’t get that far in the convo. I mean, I left off still unsure of “who” and “how many” :sweat_smile:

Clever, @KKC! I’m glad it worked out. I’ve had it twice before. Once worked out and the other did not. :woman_shrugging:t4:

I did setup a Square account today. I know there are many ways to accept cash payments (I have the well known ones). But getting Square so I can accept CCs is my symbolic first step to enabling myself to have more options :blush:

2 Likes

I applaud you stepping out of your zone to give yourself more options.
I need to do the same.

Square concerns me though. STR hosts on Houfy & other platforms are complaining about some of their business practices.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/tech/square-small-business-payment-complaints/index.html

I don’t know what to choose.

https://www.usnews.com/360-reviews/business/credit-card-processing/best-small-business-credit-card-processing

I loved using Square for my tour business, especially when they added customizable invoices with templates (so I could include cancellation policy notice) so I could invoice for tour deposits that guaranteed that they would show up even if it was raining. They just click on the link in the email invoice, enter card info, and I’ve got the deposit.

It worked great until I had to refund $20k in deposits for a half booked 2020 season that would have finally let me fund the bathrooms I needed, if not for COVID. I really liked the Bluetooth chip card reader, which is worth the price because you get a lower processing rate.

Square also recognizes that some businesses are seasonal, and I took advantage one spring of their short term loan-against-receipts program that they do with a partner bank, where I paid less than credit card rates to borrow $5k to pay for seasonal tour permits and insurance, and then they took 12% of each transaction until it was paid off, which only took about 6 weeks. Not something I would do every day, but it worked when I needed it, and it let me keep credit card balance low so I had credit available for emergencies.

Square’s easy-peasy to use, and it’s in your pocket when you need it. It was nice last summer to be able to take debit cards for more expensive items when I was holding garage sales.

1 Like

If you don’t want them to withhold for taxes, you have to give them your Tax ID number or SSN, and they will issue a 1099 to you and copy the IRS at the end of each year.

So does Air.

New tax laws tighten rules for very small businesses, gig workers, and side hustles, while not funding enough IRS auditors to audit the millionaires and billionaires that are really cheating on taxes.

Zelle & Venmo are to start reporting receipts from accounts totaling $600 or more too

I had this happen once about a year ago in December, I was getting bookings everyday I was really busy. I called CS and told them I was not willing to wait for the guest to be verified. CS told me it was the policy to give them 24 hours, I told them it was MY policy not to block my calendar for unverified guests and unless they could point me to the specific part of the TOS that said differently they needed to cancel the guest. They cancelled it.

RR

3 Likes

Lee cannot leave a review for a trip booked by Daniel. Only Daniel can leave the review. Lee was just listed as a guest of the guest.
Lee has loads of other red flags, so I do think you are well shot of him, but not leaving a review isn’t one of them. He couldn’t. It isn’t possible for each person on the reservation to leave their own review. Thank goodness!
I booked a trip once for myself, my sister-in-law, and my niece. I loved the place. Perfect location and price for the three of us, and very clean. Lovely host. SIL didn’t like the decor, and suddenly everything was wrong with the place. Five stars from me, though.
I’m now banned from booking for us, so everything turned out perfectly!

2 Likes

Recently had a 3 day enquiry for 2 adults and 4 children, total 6 guests–? Guest to be made it 5, easy mistake but it made me wary so I read her reviews!! Wow! What an eye-opener! Dirty toilet habits, children running riot, I suddenly had a direct booking (not) and cancelled the family. I applaud the host who made the review, most of us are too afraid of annoying a guest but that’s what reviews are there for!

5 Likes