Bad review... HELP

You would be doing other hosts a terrible disservice if you did not post a review. The review need not be judgemental or emotional (except any positive aspects), just state the facts. Hosts can make a decision based on them. Write something like:

Ms. Facebook Name, from State, stayed with me for two months with her young son. We also became friends on Facebook. Her adorable home-schooled son was quiet and he was disciplined strictly. During her stay, she purchased a gun and kept it at my property. Fortunately, Child Protective Services did not take her son away. I wish them both the very best for the future, and hope the medication helps!

4 Likes

Iā€™m British. But Iā€™m not anti guns, just anti hand guns.

1 Like

Sometimes a dead-pan review that really says nothing, BUT leaves a lot to the imagination may help other hosts. Example: ā€œMadam Xā€™ stayed with me for two months.ā€ Thatā€™s it. What host wouldnā€™t be dying of curiosity with such a non-committal ā€˜reviewā€™?

I am sure others can think of a lot better examples.

4 Likes

Yes good one. Itā€™s the same sorta thing with job references when you canā€™t give them a bad reference but you can decline to give one.

1 Like

I really think you should mention the gun. In many countries it is highly unusual for people to carry guns. Airbnb is an international website. I donā€™t allow weapons on my property, and would be mad if the guest did not ask permission.

1 Like

It may be an international website, but the chances of her entering your country with said implement are slim to none.

1 Like

Eeeeekk yes Iā€™m the same. It would freak me out. No.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know if it was in her car or in our home. It made me uncomfortable since I have two children in my home plus hers. She was a hot head so that is worrisome.

Thatā€™s exactly what I wrote once for one particular set of horrible guests when I was really new to hosting. I simply wrote ā€œEdward stayed at (name of my place) for 2 nightsā€. If hosts do the slightest bit of research, and click on my profile, then my listing, they will see that every single other review I have written has been personalized to each guest, and Iā€™ve always responded to their reviews.

1 Like

To the original post, I would absolutely freak out with weapons in my home, a mother scolding her child concerning bowel movements (Freud anyone?), seriously, I would have rather starved than hosted these people! Itā€™s not my nature at all! I would probably not be able to write a review because there is no way I could not be emotional about it. Most of my reviews demonstrate that I connect with my guest on some emotional and personal level, so there is just no way I could not relay my genuine concern over this persons mental health issues and the impact it would have had on my life during their stay. Of courseā€¦this is one of the reasons I donā€™t allow kids, and I donā€™t allow stays more than 4 days. I would have been on the phone with ABB, but I get that not every host is an emotional freak like I am :slight_smile: I would have been calling them reporting that I did not feel safe hosting what I opined to be an emotionally/mental unstable person and this personā€™s behaviors were in fact, mentally unstable.

2 Likes

I think you should keep your review focused on what she did while at your house. If she got the gun after she left your place, itā€™s not really relevant.

Do let Air know about the strange, unstable behavior though. You are lucky she didnā€™t overstay. I wanted to warn you about taking long bookings like this, as they can create long-term tenant status, which could entail an eviction in court from squatting ā€¦and you did say this girl likes to sue.

I think you dodged a bullet. :smile: :smile:

5 Likes

Short and sweet:

Ms. X and her son stayed with us for two months, during which she always took her meds. Child Protection Services did not take her son away, nor did she use her gun during her stay.

10 Likes

I am sure most of us have heard that ā€˜Familiarity breeds contemptā€™, Something tells me, the more you find out about this person @rebecca1, the more difficult this review will be to write, comfortably. Heck, that may be the case with many guests. Getting too friendly with what are indeed strangers (most guests) and for such a long stay which facilitates it, oftentimes leads to personal moral dilemmas, because then perhaps we are dealing with ā€˜too much informationā€™.

(Had to repeat the post, first one kepted wrapping the text strangely)

What do you think??
XXX spent the last three weeks at our home. During the last week of her stay she broke three rules which were listed as rules which could have terminated her stay. I would not allow this guest back at my home due to her unpredictable and combative behavior the last week she was here.
(her two month stay was broken up into two three week stays and a couple of other stays)

I think you can make it short and simple. Xxxx did not comply with the rules of our listing. We would not have her back.

This makes it less subjective. Other hosts will get it.

5 Likes

Also, by giving her a Thumbs Down and a low star rating for communication, she will be blocked from Instant Book.

7 Likes

yes definitely do this!

2 Likes

@Maggieroni - I love it! I will also give her thumbs down with the least stars possible for communication. I have given her 2 or 3 stars each time I have reviewed her for communication. Thank you.

2 Likes

Being from northern Europe this whole discussion is unreal! Guns? And Iā€™m complaining about the possible use of my kitchenā€¦

8 Likes

Welcome to 'Merica.
ā€¦

6 Likes