Bad guest. Bad, bad guest

I have posted a long, detailed, guide to successfully claiming a deposit in other places, but I will give the Cliff’s Note version here.

My HOA sent me a nasty gram about someone smoking on my patio, and then I confronted my smokers via Air BNB messenger- this is VERY important, make sure all communication is via the ABB platform. After, I had their ‘confession’ I called ABB and said I felt uncomfortable, that they were breaking house rules, etc. ABB called/emailed the guest and they admitted again to the smoking outdoors and agreed to pay any fine. Fast forward to check out, they actually smoked IN my bathroom as well, which is where @SuiteRetreat is correct in that ABB did not pay for any linens, etc. I claimed a fine from my HOA, extra cleaning, and a Target receipt for new linens. ABB awarded me everything but the Target receipt.

Resolution center is a TOTAL GAME. They want to make the host and guest feel like they each ‘won’ a little. Make sure you over claim your damages, in order to actually recoup the money you did spend.

4 Likes

How does one find and join the ‘bad guest private lounge’?

No you can’t. That could get you removed. Threats aren’t allowed.

Pm me with your listing so we can make sure you are a host and I’ll add you.

We do. It is clearly spelled out in our rules. “There is absolutely NO Smoking allowed inside our accommodations. Nor on our property.”

I hope airbnb will back you up. Since they are claiming they didn’t smoke on your property, only disposed of the butts on your property, maybe not. Keep us posted.

1 Like

Another rule is any and all trash generated by guests are to be taken with the guests. Trash in/trash out

2 Likes

I have that rule too, and some have expressed shock and even outrage! One kook even wrote, “while I don’t have a problem sorting recycles, I do not like taking trash! You never ever ever should ask your guests to take trash.”

Mind you this is coming from a woman who described herself in her enquiry as easygoing, adventurous, travel hungry and loves to experience other cultures. "

Yeah but only those where there is daily maid service! :smile:

Seriously, why is that too much to ask. Make the trash? Take the trash!
I don’t have trash service out here and if I had to make an extra trip it would be six miles RT.

1 Like

We reside on the Navajo nation. We are 12 miles from the nearest town - Page, AZ. All of our guests are driving into town before moving on to the next destination - the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, etc. There is no waste management program on the Navajo reservation. It’s a 24 miles round trip to water haul (bring in water as there are no well nor is there running water), trash haul, etc.

I am so sorry for their blatant disrespect for you and your abode there. Shameful people.

1 Like

We won the case. Very pleased with Airbnb. Thank you all for replies and encouragement.

10 Likes

Trash of course is an issue in an island, and we do ask the guests to pack it and we do take it out with them. No one has ever minded, in fact they appreciate there isn’t a single man-made item in the pristine waters around the island, ever. If something comes by floating, they are the first ones to pounce on it.

1 Like

I just looked up the thread to find out how things were going.

So happy you received what was right. Host on!

1 Like