Australian Airbnb hosts

I can’t find mention of this on the ATO website. The page that I inserted the link to only says:

"Renting out all or part of your home.

When you rent out all or part of your residential house or unit through a sharing economy website or app, like Airbnb, Stayz or similar, you:

• need to keep records of all income earned and declare it in your income tax return

• need to keep records of expenses you can claim as deductions

• don’t need to pay GST on amounts of residential rent you earn."

Johnny hi, I’m in Queensland too. Have been doing Airbnb for a couple of years now. My accountant is good and familiar with Airbnb though I’m not on any centrelink but I think she’d know about that. If you’d like her details, happy to send you via PM.

VHi Glad,
I’m going to echo suggestions from others, you’ll need a tax accountant to help you with informed advice. I’m not Queensland based but I’m sure most tax accountant companies (bigger ones) will have expertise in Airbnb rental.

My advice, keep all invoices (expenses) and provide them to your accountant. They can work out what is applicable or not.

GST point is tricky…once again an accountant can help.

H & R block has Airbnb partnership (disclaimer ive never used them for my Airbnb before - only used for personal tax).

I don’t think you mean me Rachel but Johnny maybe? I’ve no question here as I’ve been declaring and using an accountant since the get go.

Hi Glad (& company)

Thanks for taking the time to create this thread.
I was just after some very basic information for lodging my tax return.

Airbnb Australia’s ABN number?

I am Hosting Airbnb from a property I rent with consent from the owner.
If anyone had any additional information w/r/t to not owning the property you Host from it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hi

You don’t need their abn.

1 Like

Then how do i declare my earnings?

1 Like

My accountant does it for me across a few hosting sites. It’s not a problem. Speak to your accountant.

1 Like

I’m not using an accountant. So perhaps I do require their abn number?
I may use an accountant if it proves to difficult to do myself but at this stage it seems quite manageable.

1 Like

I think you just need to declare it as income. An accountant would help with what you can claim, percentage of your property used for Airbnb, also affects capital gains tax if you sell, and they’re tax deductible. Just check they understand Airbnb prior to engaging them

1 Like

Shanghai is right, you don’t need their ABN. You just add your Airbnb earnings to your income. The thing is, there is quite a lot you can write off. I’ve had quite a good accountant since I started 4 years ago but just changing over to another. Cap gains in fairly minimal, if at all. Where are you located in Aus?

1 Like