Asking for a day for free

AND CHARGE FOR IT

RR

2 Likes

Each year we have several couples staying with us who are competing in the Great North Run, a very famous (in UK) half marathon. I always make sure I’m home all day on the day of the race and offer guests the opportunity to leave their bags with us and collect them later in the day. Many of the runners don’t drive up here but take a train so have nowhere to store their luggage.

I’m happy to do this without charging any extra as most of our guests are running to raise money for charity anyway. Plus, as it’s a premium day, we charge a bit extra for the rooms.

Win, win :blush:

4 Likes

If you don’t want to store luggage, suggesting to the guest that it’d be uninsured and asking them to sign a disclaimer to that effect may be enough to persuade them to use lockers at the station/airport etc.

JF

2 Likes

When you have a place like mine that has a good chance of a same day booking allowing free late check outs simply isn’t an option. I have had people who apparently needed late check out who simply reserved the room for that night then left at their leisure. They didn’t ask for anything “free” or even tell me their plan in advance.

4 Likes

Yeah I explained to her that doing that would require that I block that day on my calendar which I am not going to do for free. If they do need somewhere to keep their luggage, they could keep it in their car since they will be driving to the race.

4 Likes

There is a whole scheme of breaking into cars at events. Friends of mine had their car broken into at the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque a couple of weeks ago. I’m not saying you have to be the one to do it but early check ins/late check outs are worth paying for. They had everything in their car including two work computers because they didn’t have time to check in at wherever they were staying. Hard lesson learned.

1 Like

I am firm with no late check outs or early check ins, it’s too much mucking around. And what about the cleaner? She has her day planned, cleaning the villa isn’t the only thing she’s got to do today so I find it rude that they think that the cleaner can be told to turn up at another time and move around her commitments, they have a life too!

Back in the day when I did try to accommodate it I contacted the cleaner to say they wanted to check in early could she let me know when she was done. She replied with: You can tell the guests the cleaner had a big weekend. She went to Ed Shearer on Friday night and Bruno Mars on Saturday night so it will be ready when it’s done! Classic, good on her!!

Having said that we did have guests last week who after told they couldn’t check out later than 11 didn’t leave until 12. She said to me: I can her talking, she’s saying that she has got fat as her bikini is tight. I’ll show her fat if she doesn’t get out!! She makes me laugh everyday.

1 Like

If you do not want to offer just say… “I’m sorry I can not extend the check out time past…XXX…… I need to have the room vacated no later than XX so that the room can be reset for the next guest” Since I do my own cleaning of 5 rooms and 1 full house I can be pretty busy so sometimes I can accommodate a late check out especially if I have the majority of the rooms to reset. I especially offer late check outs for repeat guests whom I have gotten to know. I can understand if you use a cleaning person this may not be possible. Early check-in are the ones that I am pretty strict on with no early check-ins prior to 3pm. Once in awhile I can grant it with ease but that is pretty rare. That saying, I never charge for late check-outs or early check-ins.

1 Like

First off, asking for a late checkout is not asking for a day for free. It is standard hospitality industry stuff. If the answer is “No” for you, fine, but they are not trying to get one over on you just for asking.

If your property is so busy that most bookings are back-to-back just say “I am sorry, but I depend on that window to get ready for the next guest, should they book. If they have not, I’m happy to accommodate you, but I’m afraid I can’t make that offer in advance.”

And if no one books let them leave late. Free. It is goodwill and hospitality and accommodating. You know, as in the accommodation and hospitality industry.

8 Likes

You know she won’t be simply storing her bags – she is going to want to shower, at least.

3 Likes

I agree that I don’t like to inconvenience my housekeeper, whom I rely greatly on. I give a strict no on late checkout, but do allow them to keep the parking pass until 4pm if they want to store their things in their car (low crime area).
I will only try to accommodate if the booking is worth $4000+, which is only 1-3 times a year.

3 Likes

99.99% of guests come by car, the ones who want to drop their bags off early rather than leaving them in the car are very annoying. We are in the country, people don’t break into cars here unless you leave your laptop, camera and wallet sitting on the dashboard! I usually scare them off by saying: I will see if the cleaner can arrange a spot on the veranda to put them…I never hear back!

1 Like

Great idea! I always feel like I’m skulking around waiting for them to leave!

1 Like

Mmm…that last shower before overnight flight…it’s a dream. Once in Morrocco, they actually let me do it in my already cleaned room. Generous tip equalled to 2 day salary for a cleaning girl followed and everyone were super happy

4 Likes

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is a simple example that sums up customer service.
One that involves mutual respect.

6 Likes

Once again I’m wishing I was more gutsy!! I would never dream of asking for this either. I’m not being critical, I genuinely think it’s great that you ask and are able to get these favors.

1 Like

It never hurts to ask I suppose, lol.

I would do the same for my guests . And I was asked many times and unlike many here I do favors for guests all the time. Free of charge.

2 Likes

How do you know the woman was basically asking for a free day? Did you ask her when she would be able to check out? My checkout time is 11 am and my check in window starts at 3 pm, so there is a definite gap of 4 hours between a guest checking out and the next one checking in. So if either guest wants to alter their check in or out times I do have time to accommodate them. I only need 30 minutes max to sort the room out. If the woman in question was able to check out by 2 pm, I would have let her and got a 5 star review from her in return.