He’s a wombat
He eats, roots and leaves…

3 Likes

Why, bless your sweet little heart! :hugs:

2 Likes

I believe they are usually flattered!

Let spake Strine!

Good on ya, mate!

(and now my post is at least 20 characters long!)

I travelled a lot in the 70’s and many Canadians I met made sure that they had a maple leaf patch or print visible on their clothes or backpack.
I presume they were Canadian.

I’m not a Canadian, U.S. citizen, I just played one when traveling in Europe late 70s, backpack patch of course.

Or English. :wink:

1 Like

Ha!ha! I could never tell the differences between the two accents, so you would’ve fooled me! Not that it mattered as far as I was concerned.

Really?! Politics trumps other considerations?

We Aussies generally find it amusing when people try to speak Strine.
It’s a lifetime practice mate.
But no worries, we’ll still ‘ tork to ya’’.

Accents in Oz vary from state to state, some speak in a really flattened and fast manner, others not so much, Where I come from we speak properly( said with ‘tongue in cheek’)-and some states use different nouns for clothing etc - eg swimmers or bathers etc for a swim suit.
We’re a multi cultural country and the influences come from all over the world - particularly seen in food and coffee. It’s wonderful.
So endeth the lesson, go in peace my friends.

1 Like

Oz is on my bucket list but I need to have both the money and 3 months free at the same time!

1 Like

We positively love Savannah. Wish we had bought something down there years back before the massive increase.

This may get a lot worse before it gets better. Stay safe! It is so sad to hear that about Charlestown …

Not gonna touch the political thing with a 10 foot pole. There are a TON of failures with the system in this time of civic strife and it is not limited to any political affiliation.

2 Likes

It must be a Northern thing, because it’s used in Alaska a lot, especially on construction sites by foremen trying to speed things up.

Yes, I had a friend who was living here in my town in Mexico who had a construction company with 2 Mexican partners. The entire Mexican crew, even if they didn’t understand anything else in English, quickly learned what “We don’t pay for f**kin’ the dog” meant.

I think the “ Ugly American” is over played and a myth.My wife and I have spent most of the last ten years traveling around the world. We have circled the globe twice visiting over 45 countries. We have tended to avoid big cities concentrating on rural areas with fewer tourists. We found as Americans, we were always welcomed and accepted. We were repeatedly told Americans are the most friendly and generous people on earth. Although we are familiar with “Old Europe “ we’ve avoided that area as too unfriendly, too expensive, and too crowded. We have found that despite our Government’s occasionally poor behavior, the average person on the street knows we Americans are kind and reasonable.
When asked who they consider their worst behaved tourist guests, the most common answer was : #1. The Chinese. #2 The Germans. The answer varied depending on which continent we were on.

I spent 2 years working in Paris as a young adult. I dressed professionally, soon came to speak more than passable French, and was rarely identified as non-French by other visitors. I eventually got to the point where most French native speakers would assume I was Parisians, except most Parisians knew that I wasn’t but could not immediately figure where I WAS from. So I was “under cover” in a sense, and I observed all sorts of insensitive and outright offensive behavior from American tourists over those two years. When I asked my work colleagues who the WORST tourists were, they all immediately replied: “Italians!” But when I asked about the second-worst, Americans was at least a strong consensus. The only serious competition was from nouveau-riche Russians who were particularly numerous at that time.

1 Like