Arizona and Florida snowbirds, will they, should they come?

Is the canadian quarantine an at home quarantine? If it is, those travelers who are retired and older might not see that as much of a problem if they had to quarantine after a 2 mth sunny stay in Arizona or Florida.

Itā€™s an at-home quarantine as long as people have a place to do that. Otherwise there are some govt. quarantine facilities.

Thatā€™s one of the reasons I didnā€™t take my annual summer trip to Canada this year. Aside from not wanting to the risk of air travel, none of my friends or family have space where I could quarantine without sharing common spaces with them and I canā€™t afford to rent a entire suite Airbnb for 2 weeks, and sitting by myself there for 14 days isnā€™t at all attractive.

1 Like

I checked out bookings down south. Princess and Sunwing are not being straightforward. Mexico, for example, has a huge infection rate, but itā€™s still open for business.

The point being that on top of a trust issue, they are hollering now about armegeddon, and a third wave.

I believe that when the going gets tough, the tough go skiing. Whistler, anyone?

1 Like

I have a theory that regardless of who wins the presidential election in the US, or how much covid is spiking, that we will see a big spike in travelling in November. I think it will be younger folks , not those over 65. I have been hearing so much election and covid fatigue, and with all the opportunities for working online and online schooling for the kids, many will make a break for it. Life goes on regardless of who is our president, and many younger people will take the risk. I am not promoting it, just predicting it.

1 Like

The problem is that covid cases are soaring. Even places that donā€™t want to have lockdowns may be forced into it by hospitals and health care workers being overloaded.

I do see a burst from pent up demand once the vaccine is widely distributed and things really get going again. Like many Iā€™m itching to travel but I know Iā€™ll have great demand for my dog boarding and Airbnb.

1 Like

By March next year, we will all be climbing the walls.

1 Like

My parents (Pennsylvanian, not Canadian) arenā€™t doing their usual 6 weeks in Florida and they said none of the other regulars are going either. Same with my next-door neighbor who usually goes for 2-3 months (and lets me use his driveway while heā€™s away so I can give our guests a dedicated spot in our driveway during the winter on-street parking ban months). When you canā€™t (or donā€™t want to) go out to eat and other things donā€™t seem safe in a state that has completely thrown in the towel on containing COVID, thereā€™s not much incentive to go there.

2 Likes

I have a friend who is an ICU nurse in Indiana. I told her Iā€™d like to/be willing to come visit her next week as she recovers from foot surgery. She said she doesnā€™t think itā€™s a good idea. For one, Iā€™d be driving and have to stay somewhere because itā€™s 22 hours away. So even if I quarantine beforehand, Iā€™d be exposed to a variety of people on the way. And her partner works part time in the hospital. This is how responsible people who donā€™t want to get or spread it behave. As in any society, a few sacrifice for the good of all (like military service) and a majority avoid any sacrifice. So there will be snowbird business this year. The election results make that clear.

3 Likes

I hesitate to write thisā€”I have no vested interest in this financiallyā€” as this is a short term rental forum, but should Covid numbers keep rising and hosts find themselves unable to fill their short term rentals, there are travel nurses that need a place to stay for 30 to 90 days at a time. Those numbers may increase as covid numbers increase. Stand alone rental properties in larger metropolitan areas work best as less possible exposure to the host and they are bringing in nurses all the time. The platform furnished finder was started for traveling nurses and they do some vetting for the host. It is a one time up front fee $99 and does not take any percentage. We listed our condo in the Phoenix area as I did not want to do a str remotely and have 2 nurses staying now. On a personal level, they are doing some tough work these days and if I can provide them with nice housing from an honest host at a decent price, I feel like I am giving back ā€¦It is a win-win

4 Likes

Iā€™m literally up the street, half mile from a hospital. Iā€™ve certainly thought about doing something like that but am wary of locking myself into something. My place isnā€™t most ideal since itā€™s small with no kitchen but many travel nurses travel with pets and I allow pets. There are other drawbacks but thatā€™s for the nurse to decide, not me.

2 Likes

The snowbirds are coming!!!

In my area (coastal SC) N.Y. & N.J. Snowbirds are booking to arrive in the next 2-3 weeks.

I think it is interesting. Fairly last minute. Wanting rentals of 3 months.

-Currently no quarantine required when coming to area
-10-12 hour drive from NYCity so hard day drive but can do and not need hotel while traveling
-If lockdown occurs rentals >28 nights not cancelled because considered long term
-Seniors not joining kids & grandkids for Thanksgiving & Christmas due to risks.
-outdoor living like walking beach & golf bountiful

Iā€™m not benefiting because my condo is already booked to 2/1 but my host neighbors are thrilled.

I understand those in a metropolitan area planning to get out of town. I just donā€™t want their germs.

1 Like

Have they considered something on the SC or NC coast? 1 day drive. Moderate temperatures.

SC Myrtle Beach area has an over abundance of condos so tends to be cheaper and easier to find a rental.

My condos are in North Myrtle Beach. Not as crowded an area. Separate city. Close to NC/SC line. Only 90 minutes off I-95

My friends at Topsail Island NC say the home rentals are going fast. A friendā€™s oceanfront house sleeps 10 & is already booked to May. Grandparents staying in upstairs 3 Br 2 bath with kids/grandkids staying periodically in separate downstairs 2 Br 1 Ba apartment. 10 hr drive from NYC.

Why do I keep hearing this as ā€œThe red coats are coming!ā€ The travel fever must be hitting the east coast first

I appreciate the red coats coming referenceā€”itā€™s what I had in mind. Actually in SC the locals would be sayinā€™, ā€œ the Yankees are cominā€™ā€. After all, they are the union retirees with the money.

The high COVID-19 rates are driving the retirees out of the big cities so yes, it is hitting the east first

1 Like

Article from this morningā€™s NYT 11/17/20

For those not able to view through Paywall. Some differences with Snowbirds this season:

-Canadaā€™s canceled
The United States-Canada land border has been closed to all nonessential travel since March; the closure is slated to last through Nov. 21, though it may be extended. Although people can still fly from Canada to the United States, a reliable bloc of snowbirds is, for now, marooned: More than 70 percent of the more than 110,000 members of the Canadian Snowbird Association usually reach their winter destination by car. And theyā€™re not all eager to jump on a plane in the middle of a pandemic.

-Snowbirds tend to be younger travelers (with families)
ā€œWeā€™re seeing young professionals traveling around the country, spending a month or two in different cities,ā€ said Ms. Canaley. ā€œWeā€™ve had guests like that in South Florida and in New Orleans. Itā€™s one of the surprise opportunities of the pandemic, for those who are able to work from home.ā€

-Travelers during the holidays
ā€œTypically we avoid traveling through the holidays, but this year is different,ā€ said Ms. Granuzzo, 30, the director of social media and editorial at a digital agency. ā€œCovid has basically changed the entire landscape ā€” even client meetings are remote. So why not skip the winter here?ā€

2 Likes

We are def trying to figure out how to get us and our little kids to Florida for a month but the 20 hr drive is a huge obstacle. Iā€™ve read in some forums that a nonstop flight would be safer than a long road trip (multiple stops for bathroom breaks, needing a hotel or 1 night rental, etc.) but I donā€™t know how much of that is wishful thinking. Iā€™m more worried about the airports than the actual flight.

I honestly donā€™t think either a car trip or a flight is safe. Nor is Florida and its attractions. Even if places are open, theyā€™re not safe. I wouldnā€™t go.

1 Like

I have had 2 families work from home at our rental in the last several months. I do hope for some more as long as our town remains low risk

Well, the only attractions we are interested in would be the private pool and the beach access and the bike paths and the warm weather (which are all pretty safe). Otherwise, we would be doing the same thing as at home, grocery store every 10 days and take-out twice a week. But how to get thereā€¦ Going to private lake homes throughout the Summer saved our sanity (and likely my marriage) and was much safer than this proposed FL trip as we didnā€™t leave the house or lake at all after arriving by car.

Here is another article on this subject that says no snowbirds. With the vaccine maybe we will get late snowbirds in March and April?

Watch the latest video at foxnews.com