Are people really that thick?

There’s lots of reasons why people can be late other than flight delays.

• they might get lost
  • there might be traffic
  • they might miss the bus
  • they might miss the train
  • they might not easily find public transport
  • they might not have gps
  • they might not have internet on their phone
  • they might not have a printer to print a map
  • they might be bad at time management
  • they might not have phone signal

I mean an hour late or even early is acceptable in my opinion.

1 Like

Are you on instant book?

Or another reason, theyre just plain selfish and inconsiderate.

1 Like

Not really Erin.
We also need to show them a tour of the apt etc. I’m thinking of putting in rules, ‘This is our home, so we have no 24 hr reception like a hotel or a BNB does, so it is extremely important you give us your arrival times in advance. If there are any delays please let us know asap. This is very important so one of us can be home for you to let you in. We also may have to leave work to come and let you in, so we dont want to wait longer than necessary’.

1 Like

ps: I dont know what good it will do, as I tell them all this when they book!

If not respect of this rule, client agree to pay a fee?

I just put this in my house rules:
This is my home, not the Marriott, so I do not have someone working the front desk at all times, in fact, there is no front desk! Please keep me updated of your approximate arrival time so your arrival and check-in goes smoothly.
Literally got 2 bookings (for the Fall) within 24 hours of adding those 2 sentences.

3 Likes

Love it!!! :joy::slight_smile:

yep…I wasnt before, but we get so much more bookings with IB.:relaxed:

Also pissed off with yday’s guests!! They moaned and groaned for an early check in. I give them it 2 hrs earlier, came back from work, waited and waited. Then they messaged half hr after they were supposed to be here, saying they were on a tour and wouldnt be here till the original check in time!!! Flip you just cant win!!

2 Likes

So Rude! That would make me angry also. I have multiple jobs and I do sometimes like to have a little something called fun and a life. My time is a very precious commodity to me. I would have been angry also.

1 Like

They were a piss take. I’ll be mentioning it in review.

2 Likes

I agree. I myself under so many circumstances was later or earlier than the time i indicated. Thats why it is essential for a host to arrange keys or put a door code. And later to come and give a tour or explaining a thing or two.

Here, we go again. Today’s guest the same. Also offered them to check in 2hrs early, as moaning 3pm was to late…I actually had to text them to see were they were. Supposed to turn up at 1pm! Response again, was we decided to do a tour! Unbelievable!!
I really do not mind delays, but I wish they would let us know in advance!!! :cry:

1 Like

You are the one changing the check in time, waiting, and being disappointed. You either need to quit giving them early check ins or quit being bothered by it. You can’t control what they do, only what you do.

4 Likes

i changed it because they asked. Even when people say they would check in after the original check in, they’re mostly late.

1 Like

Oh boy Sunshine1. You are in a pickle. I had a guest req early check in and then not show up. I live in San Diego, but my listing is in Mexico, so at least an hour to get there and god knows how long to cross the border back into the states, so I finally had to tell people, “if you are not there at the agreed upon time, then you will have to wait on the street to be let in as there isn’t anyone on the property to receive you” or if i had to do final checks on the place, “if you plan to arrive before the designated check in time, you are welcome to lounge about on the property (we have a patio, bbq and beach access) but you can not enter the unit until check in”. Mayor shift! Suddenly people were on time! Good luck!!!
You may also consider an additional fee if they are late or do not contact you within a certain time frame related to check in. #badguests

4 Likes

Since you are on instant then you need to put a message in the field that guests will see right before they submit the booking. Do you know what I am referring to? I don’t know what it is called but the message appears as final message before they submit. Forget the early check in crap - this is what I would write…not sure if there is a limit on characters:

“Check in/check out times are strict. No early check ins. You will not be able to enter the building without me letting you in. Please acknowledge in your message that you understand I will need to know your check in time at least 3 days prior to arrival. If you do not provide me the information by this time, then you will have to wait until I get home from work.”

You can try that and see if people do start adding their estimated time in the message. Or if they just continue to ignore…

2 Likes

I text my guests the evening before their arrival and say the following: Please reply with your estimated time of arrival for tomorrow, or if you arrive and I’m not here, text me and I can be back at my home within 30 or 40 minutes. Thanks…Everyone to date has replied within 10 minutes with a time.

2 Likes

I learnt early on and take matters into my own hands. Especially as I know guests rarely read your entire blurb, and probably only the first few paragraphs. Even though I work from home I’m in and out so don’t want to hang around unnecessarily. So the day before they’re due to arrive, I send them a standard message with something like “really looking forward to welcoming you on X. Check in is 12 noon and check out is 10 AM. What is your estimated arrival time please?” and I add a few other bits of info such as directions, scenic routes, etc at the same time. Almost everyone comes back with their arrival time and then I just ask them to update me by text when they’re on their way. I have this and some other standard replies in my phone memo and I just cut and paste, adding their name and personal details. Simples!

1 Like