Are guests getting more picky and leaving worse ratings since last year?

I’ve tried with no success to get the glass clean. I guess I need to keep trying until I find the right product. When I bought the house, the glass was the same as it is now.

I will take your tips, gladly, and thank you!

1 Like

TBH, once you get it properly cleaned, it’s a breeze between guests, and you’ll wonder why you didn’t do it before.

I’m sitting in the kitchen while typing this reply, and looking at our ovens. Maybe a job for tomorrow…

JF

2 Likes

It sounds like the way you host has worked out fine for you up til now, and that’s really all that counts. You can’t hope to please every single guest forever.

As for maybe focusing on the big picture too much,of course if your house needs a new roof, that has to be done. But that’s not something guests are going to notice, nor would it necessarily register with them that it has a fresh paint job.

So I’d maybe realize that the little things like a broken knob, which doesn’t seem like any big deal and is something you or I have lived with for a long time and barely notice, can give some guests an impression of general negligence if that’s their basic mindset, to look for what’s wrong instead of what’s good.

You can’t really do anything about guests who are determined to focus on everything that isn’t perfect, even though it didn’t affect their stay in any practical way.

1 Like

Klearly Koffee will do it. Best price is at restaurant supply stores, but you can get it online too.
Just use a squirt with very hot water. If you can position the door to have it soak the area that is ideal.

1 Like

You might be able to get it removed via “not relevant” due to “limited guests allowed”. Every stay only allows up to X adults, etc. That is a given.
And yep - guests don’t read. So, you either need to provide some signs, a guidebook or communicate more with your guests.
And always listen to that voice when it says, “pass on this guest”. For the first time ever, we had Air cancel an IB booking - spidey sense was tingling a lot and we trusted it.

1 Like

I find this thread interesting. Can we see a pic of the oven as the guest found it?

Sorry I didn’t get back to you! I will say upon reflection, it wasn’t horrible but not good, as well. Thanks to all who gave advice, the baking soda paste, more than once, then sprayed with vinegar to break up the worst of it worked amazing!!

I know 3 hosts who do this & get excellent bookings & reviews. They are all clear in their listing description they are renting their personal homes. They clearly set expectations for the guests. They lock off their master bedrooms.

All 3 are young & go stay with Mom during rentals.

I think it is brilliant. They use the $$$ to renovate and/or pay down their mortgages

It’s not easy to rent your own and vacate. Yet, it is worth it as my house will be paid off with in 9 years if I keep paying the extra principle each month. I’ll be set up nicely when I retire in 15 years:)

2 Likes