Are 2017 rentals worse for "Giving an inch; taking a mile"?

yes, very much so. Airbnb renters used to like being in someone’s home and treated it like a guest would. Now we are cheap hotel and our rules be damned.

1 Like

Possibly only matched by the time one flew into my hamburger while I lifted up the bun to apply mayo and ketchup.

3 Likes

I’ve had a mixture, (my rental season is extremely short, May-Sept).
Have to say though that the last 5 sets of guests have been absolutely lovely, communicative, cleaning their own space, honoring all house rules.
I feel so fortunate.

1 Like

My last four in a row were 10 star guests if that is possible! My present guest is on track to be just as wonderful.

My one before the four stunk but she was on another platform.

I think we all seem like we constantly have bad guests but those are the ones who take our attention and energy and therefore tend to discuss more. The good ones just take a sigh of relief and a prayer (if you are inclined) of gratitude. We don’t come online and mention them all that much. Amirite?

I have 99 percent good guests! I’ve been very lucky!!!

3 Likes

Palmetto bugs–now that’s an alternate protein source. EWWW. However they can be big enough. One of my guests from Canada suggested that I tell guests about the “monsters”.

The first week that I was living in Dallas, a group of folks at my university went out for drinks and some nachos. We were kind of having fun, and then some Palmettos dropped from the tree we were sitting under onto our plates of food. Nasty!!!

My relationship with these monsters continued as I found them in my tub, kitchen sink, and backyard. I never got used to it.

1 Like

Your comment about the few bad guests taking up energy and time is valid. 99% of my guests are wonderful. The 1% who do negative things definitely get more of my attention & energy.

I also think there is validity for me on someone’s prior comment about 3 years hosting and facing burnout. I think I am too. Some of the questions are situations are like “here we go again”.

So that leads us to the key question: How do we rejuvenate? I would love to hear ideas.

1 Like

I feel your angst about the Palmetto bugs falling into your food. I’m fairly ok with them, until they start flying around. I think there are some hummingbirds that are smaller than these creatures.

I am taking this weekend off hosting (blocked the rooms) and am planning to sit around and relax. I am so burnt out on hosting…

As I type this, one of my guests is doing laundry next to my room at 11pm… Another prime example of no one reading my house rules. sigh

When you’re refreshed and back in the saddle again, put a note on your washing machine about the hours of use. Guests cannot miss seeing it and will comply, guaranteed.

I post such a sign for my LTRs and it works. I would do the same for my VR but I don’t have a washer in the unit - just shared coin-operated machines down the hall.

1 Like

A few weeks ago I was looking for a rental in Memphis, TN. I found a Airbnb listing where the host in her public response to reviews called out a few guests for breaking the rules.

She had many excellent guest reviews so the rule breakers stood out. For example, she publicly posted review responses addressing: late check in with no notification, late check out impeding getting the unit cleaned for the next guest, and more people staying in the unit than were booked.

Her call-outs were not excessive. I messaged her and told her I liked her style. She shared that after she posted a couple responses about breaking the house rules, she rarely has any problems.

Maybe that’s part of the solution, tactfully hold people accountable publicly for following the rules.

3 Likes

I am actually surprised you have these guys in places like Texas and South Carolina. I thought they were a Hawaii thing.

When Hawaii had the dengue outbreak (thankfully contained) some entomologists from a trap company booked to stay with me. She told me that the palmettos (roaches, let’s call them what they are) have a season. The reason why you see so many suddenly at once, like in the spring, is because they hatch. So they hatch, are active in the spring and summer and then basically die off but not before laying a bunch of eggs first. We also have them outside in the vegetation… everywhere in Hawaii.

SM! I know you are in Boston… reply intended to be general. :grin:

1 Like

Put the price on your room really high, as I have blocked out rooms to find them open again. Someone told me to do that here, sorry I can’t remember.

2 Likes

In fact ‘strato-pricing’ is the only way I block out dates, if I ever do.

1 Like

South Carolina immature Palmetto bugs tend to be worse in July & August (hatch-out timing) which happens to be in peak vacation rental season (oh -goody). I can’t talk about Gulf Coast states but Georgia, South Carolina, & North Carolina coastal areas have Palmetto bugs. Relocations and guests who are unfamiliar with them generally freak out. A friend thought the Palmetto bug in her Savannah, Georgia rental was a MOUSE, then she saw it fly which made for a lively panic.

2 Likes

Funny you should mention that. Guy in college, just to show what he thought of the rest of us screeching about palmetto bugs, speared one with his fork as it ran past his plate (the dorms were vile. To this day, I don’t sleep with open hands) AND HE ATE IT!!! :scream_cat::nauseated_face:

1 Like

Geeze!!! And we thought fraternity hazing activities were shocking!!!,

1 Like

KJC’s story just made my skin crawl. ICK! By the way, was alcohol involved?

1 Like

:honeybee::beetle::cricket::spider::ant::honeybee::beetle::cricket::spider::ant:

yes, I think they are very unreasonable. They cannot expect a hotel that is fully staffed. One lady said she’d arrive at 8:00pm… at 9:30 she had yet to arrive so I messaged her and said I left lights on. Left a note on the counter as well. The next morning they were still sleeping when I left for work. She was upset that I wasn’t there to physically answer any of her questions or greet her. Sorry charlie… not staying up all night to wait for you to go to dinner and the bars before checking in.

5 Likes