Apparently sharing/subletting a large rental is happening

Here are posts from another group. A host believes a guest may have sublet rooms & responses about it is occurring & there are meet up groups to connect everyone.

My rental is small so unlikely for this to happen (again). How can owners of larger rentals protect themselves?

1 Like

By not being absentee landlords. A host would protect themselves from this the same way they would a short term rental. Cameras, being aware of what is going on at the home. For example providing the once a week laundry some hosts provide. Or going weekly to do yard work. Requiring the names of all guests and when you see people coming and going in and staying overnight. Making clear in the listing and rental agreements that you are an active and involved host. Make them move on to the next more gullible host.

6 Likes

This.

But it’s pretty normal for LTR so it’s not really surprising that it’s come over to STR too. It’s very usual for students to do this (or it was when I lived in the UK lots of years ago) for term time then move onto another for the next terms.

I imagine that anyone who rents a house and then advertises for roommates has taken a place larger than they need knowing that they’ll be subletting to roommates.

Only by the measures @KKC suggested above, I think?

1 Like

And exactly this. Why is someone renting a 3 bedroom house for one? Sure there are legit reasons but the owner needs to be on their toes.

2 Likes