Anyone here familiar with Airbnb Open Homes for medical? El Paso shooting update

I’m less than a mile from a hospital and am considering signing up for this program. Has anyone here participated? If you don’t want to post about it you can also message me.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I’m considering it but average stay is one to two weeks, and that seems a little too long for me to financially absorb. It does look like you can have some control so I guess I could just limit to three days when/if I get a request. I signed up for about two minutes before I panicked and quit.

1 Like

I think that’s commendable of you, I didn’t know it existed for respite care and will have a word with my better half about out of season stays.

1 Like

I signed up for it, also refugee housing, several months ago and no nibbles from any organization at all.
I skipped option 3 for natural disasters because in that case it’s individuals booking, not a contract with an organization. I want to have someone to call if they can’t/won’t move out, which sounds harsh, but I know from family members’ experience that you can need alternate housing for a looooong time during a post-tornado/hurricane/earthquake rebuilding period. I donate $ for natural disaster relief.

1 Like

I would only sign up for medical. I can do a one or two week stay but would only be willing to do one long stay or a couple of smaller stays per year. I don’t know if I’d get any hits, I’ve only ever had one request related to proximity to the hospital and they ended up not booking. I discouraged them as it was a family with a small child. That room is too small for a family with a small child for a month.

My insurance will not allow for medical recovery. Even if they did, it’s too much responsibility.

1 Like

I finally signed up for this today due to the shooting in my city. Half the surviving victims were taken to this nearby hospital. Also families will be arriving for funerals in the coming days. Given the posts here I’m not expecting to get any hits. Lots of people still aren’t even familiar with Airbnb.

If anyone reads this and has ideas of how I could get information about my availability to people who can use it, please share. In my friends group they suggested contacting the hospital but I’m sure the hospital is slammed. I posted on facebook asking if anyone has any input let me know and though people have shared my post I haven’t heard anything concrete.

You might consider adding a new photo to your listing ‘saying that you are signed on to the Airbnb Open Homes’ and they can contact Airbnb about it.
This way those looking at Airbnb’s in El Paso and in need might learn about it.

2 Likes

I wonder if the local news would be interested in publishing an article about victim/victim family resources?

1 Like

There’s tons of local media stories about everything imaginable. (It’s surreal to be in the location of one of these horrific events and to see the process from a different perspective. Probably like seeing hurricane coverage from your viewpoint…) But I haven’t seen something about housing. Local funeral homes are donating the funerals. Counseling is offered. Fundraisers, blood drives…etc.

One of my former students is staff for our local Congresswoman and I’ve let him know. One of the local community foundations also acknowleged my message. I could walk down to the hospital near my house and try to find the social worker there as they haven’t answered my emails. But I’m sure they are slammed.

Similar but profoundly different, last year Hurricane Florence caused tremendous damage and flooding. People were displaced for months. Local media was similar publicizing resources but omitting Airbnb free housing

1 Like

You could probably reach out to your local police department and even the funeral homes. Prayers for your community. It’s so devastating that I can’t even fathom the emotions.

1 Like

Ps. Your comment on another post about meeting host, her kids, and 2 dogs sounds like me! Lol

She was near the Portland ME airport. It was very interesting to talk to a host who has hosted quite a few people but doesn’t know that much about Airbnb and strategies. Hosts could really benefit from being on some forums.

Perhaps contacting the patient relations department would be easier.
Many hospitals if you call the main number they can transfer you to patient relations

Or head to the top—ask for the office of the Chief Nursing Officer (nursing care is patient centered with a holistic approach of including the family)

1 Like