Anyone else see the new "grace period" cancellation option?

@shashdineecoretreat - I agree with what kona wrote about the likelihood of their requests being declined but I’m curious what you’re going to do. Are you going to chance it?

1 Like

I went with it as the booking in for the 10th of December. From March to November I will not consider this at all and would decline without hesitation as we are jamming.

2 Likes

Probably won’t cancel, but annoying that they have essentially changed your policy to flexible. Whether you like it or not.

1 Like

Would you believe we are still waiting on this booking?

Unfortunately you won’t know if it helps unless you were able to split test with exactly the same listing/reviews/placement on the listing. And the only difference being the 48 hour grace period.

A more significant question for the group: I am less concerned about the actual flexibility to cancel within 48 hours (this seems right for the consumer) and the financial risk but I AM VERY concerned about someone getting my address and/or entry instructions to my home and then being able to cancel. I use lockboxes and electronic codes for my places vs a live check in.

Does anyone know if Airbnb will hold this information back from the guest until the 48 hour window has passed? I’d be far more likely to opt in for this flexibility if Airbnb will protect me and my property by minimizing this risk.

That’s a very good question. I will not be turning that on optionally, but mark my words, this will soon be something that is not optional.

1 Like

Good point. Do let us know what they say.

Do not give the codes out until just before arrival,

1 Like

Right again, Kona. I have a strict policy. I’ve had 2 cancel almost immediately after booking in the last month. It appears that they are penalty free (to the guest). So in effect the policy appears to be implemented in practice.

I haven’t bought in to it officially, as there is no advantage to me other than rumours of superior seo’s. But I do believe that this will become the norm.

Has anyone been able to tell if this affects their bookings or not? I just turned it on, but was thinking it was an easy way for someone to get an exact address and then decide. I guess that’s okay though, I’d rather them cancel than feel stuck.

I turned on the setting almost immediately and have had a fair few bookings and none have cancelled within the grace period (or at all).

1 Like

I turned it on. Didn’t see any increase in bookings. But two people cancelled within the period. Turned it off again.

1 Like

It’s a two way street. If someone cancels on me no one sympathies however if I cancel on a guest I’m the worst person ever. I would not cancel on a guest so I feel I’m owed the same. When I travel accommodation is the last step I know when I’m coming and going prior to booking.