Anyone asks guests' background/visiting purpose before accepting their bookings?

I use instant book, so I don’t get a say, but I do check them and write back and forth.

But in my ad I say if you don’t like dogs, do not stay here. Lol. My current guest mentioned it. My dog is my family so I want loving people. Plus you can hear trains where I live, LOUD. So I put twice or more, that you will hear trains in the ad. Keeps fussy people away. I am very happy as during busy season, I am almost constantly booked with pleasant people.

I had someone recently want to cancel 5 days before booking( i am on moderate cancelation) and then want to rebook for two days,i felt that the guest was already incosiderate so i said no.

I also ask… i like people who come to my town for workshops, or nature adventures… a harley meeting or beer tasting isnt as good of a fit…

Well, you do get 3 chances to say no each year if something is really off.

You can always do an alteration without any sort of penalty. A lot of the time travelers make booking mistakes and just need a small change. I generally grant the alterations. No need to cancel anything.