Another guest complaining in a review in capital letters than I wouldn't give them a late check out

I love the guests who ask for late checkout and then when you say no for whatever reason will helpfully respond by telling you that the checkout day seems to be free on your calendar so what is the issue? As though you aren’t allowed to have any other reason why you want them to leave on time. Sheesh!

3 Likes

I used to have check in at 1pm now 2pm to give me a bigger window but I’ve let people in at 11am if there is no one the night before and the place is ready. Is it because most of your guests are travellers so they have been driving all day and only need to check in at the end of the day? Mine are usually down from a nearby big city so want to get started on their weekend (min 2 nts) asap.

@Natalie - just say you don’t or won’t allow a late check out. If you say you can’t, they try to figure out ways to remove the reason you cannot.

If they ask you why you won’t or don’t, you can just say “that is our policy” and stop there.

If they keep pressuring you after that, maybe you don’t want them as guests!

I would edit it say " Sorry we can not offer late check out because we have guests check in at 3 pm on the same day and it does take about 4 hours to get the place ready for next guests. Thank you for your understanding. "

Oh, I have no problem saying no. Just sharing my personal guest pet peeve!

1 Like

Not worth getting miffed about. In fact, their putting it it in the review in capital letters may actually help control expectations of future guests.

3 Likes

I have had some pushy guests lately insisting on a late-check-out or early-check-in. I DO mention this descriptively in the review just in case this is useful to future hosts. “I was/was not able to accomodate X’s request for a late checkout” is my standard line. I did get to write “I was not able to accomodate X’s request for a free extra day” recently for the guest who wanted a 6 pm checkout.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to add to my arsenal, “Unfortunately I was not able to accomodate [guest’s] request for early check-in and late-check out on a one day booking”.

3 Likes

Hi Poppy, you don’t owe anyone an explanation. The answer is no, or, if you want to finesse it, “I am unable to check you out after 11. I apologise for any inconvenience you may have, and wish you the best.”

An honest review of the host as guest, however, could jam up their future trips.
“We enjoyed hosting X and Y, but were unable to accommodate their repeated requests for late check-out.” Translation: mouth full of PITA!

6 Likes