Another group of difficult guests

Im sure they did. Did they offer them free service fees? Insane

That pretty well says it all, doesnā€™t it?! Iā€™m glad it worked out for you.

Lesson learned for your cleaner - donā€™t leave wet laundry or anything in the fridge (but those items donā€™t warrant a free stay, for heavensā€™ sake, IMO).

1 Like
  • Donā€™t let the guests in before their check-in time. If they want to put luggage, thatā€™s fine, but they are not allowed inside before the apartment is cleaned properly (cleaner must send completion photos to host and get their go-ahead before leaving)
  • Dirty or wet laundry should not be in the unit. Always have enough spare sheets/towels/mats so that a complete turnaround can be done without having to wash anything. If there is no time, take laundry home or to a local laundromat and deliver dry ones to the guests ASAP with apologies.
  • Never have opened packages of anything perishable in the fridge or anywhere in the kitchen. Unopened is okay if before expiry date.
  • Curtains good, blinds bad. They can be broken easily and are very hard to clean properly. We replaced all the blinds with curtains in one of our properties (they were left over from a previous tenant)
5 Likes

I was with you until this. I hate curtains. Detest them. And I can assure you that if the blinds are getting dirty, so are the curtains. And washing and rehanging curtains is no easy task at all. Almost all of the apartments that I have rented with curtains, well, the curtains were filthy and often smelled as well.

My curtains are easy to remove, launder and re-hang. And nothing darkens a room, deadens sound and insulates against heat and cold better than an insulated drape. In my air room I donā€™t have black out curtains I have roman shades and a light filtering curtain but due to the layout of the room and location of windows itā€™s pretty dark in the there with the curtains drawn.

1 Like

Rather than putting wet linens in the laundry room, get a few more sets so you can remove the dirty linens from the premises and wash them later. Not a good idea to leave them in a laundry basket. As others have said, never let your guests enter when the housekeeper is cleaning.

1 Like

I know that this is said a lot here, but Iā€™ve had the opposite experience. I let guests drop luggage early and leave luggage after check out time. This means that they see me cleaning. Iā€™ve always gotten five stars for cleanliness from guests who see me clean. I assume that this is because theyā€™ve seen for themselves that all linens are washed, furniture is moved to the middle of the room for vacuuming, etc.

I do not live in the city where my Airbnb runs. I manage Airbnb remotely, though I return to the city every week. I purchase many bed linens. However, since I charge low rate, my Airbnb is very busy. It is fully booked in peak seasons. Sometimes, when we hosted a large group of guests and the cleaner does not have time to dry all the beddings she washes, she has to put them in laundry baskets. How do you dry beddings? I feel it takes a long time to dry cotton beddings.

Do you dry your linens in a dryer or on a clothes line? If in a dryer, you can instruct your house cleaner to put the linens in the dryer and start the dryer. The dryer might have linens in it, but there wonā€™t be wet linens lying around. Wet linens smell bad and sooner or later they will get moldy.

1 Like

Mine go in a clothes dryer. If you donā€™t have one on the premises or no one is around to put them in a dryer and take them out to fold, raise your price a bit and hire a laundry service.

1 Like

All they wanted is the refund, this is all they were looking for . And itā€™s non of their business if the cleaner brought the kid. They stick their nose where it doesnā€™t belong.

I would never refund them and in review I would describe exactly what happened and not recommend them.
Wet sheet bothered them? Why? It was in a laundry room. If they were normal people they wouldnā€™t even pay attention to this ā€œterrible eventā€ and dry it themselves
And who pays attention to blinds? What are they ? Quality control inspection?

1 Like

I have Pella windows with between the glass shades that never need to be cleaned, affording complete privacy for my guests.

1 Like

If I was a guest and found wet sheet in a washer I would take it out and found a place for it to dry. I would think that probably a cleaner or a host forgot about it. Not a biggie.
Airbnb is creating a bunch of little princes and princesses.

Yeah right ā€¦ laundry service that costs tons of money. Itā€™s not a bit of money, itā€™s a lot of money.

3 Likes

I have these custom mini blinds which have teeny bits of corrosion from being in an apartment that faces the sea.

It looks like dust but itā€™s corrosion. Okay, some it it IS dustā€¦ which collects after just a few days here, especially in the dry seasonā€¦ but most of those spots are corrosion.

. I JUST CLEANED every one of these slats by hand on Sunday, and it is only Thursday. :rofl::tired_face::grimacing::triumph::-1: and I have three windows with these damn things.

1 Like

1* for cleanliness for you :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

UGH. I hate those things. Theyā€™re so hard to keep clean!!

Over the years, guests have broken the roller blinds, so Iā€™ve just removed them and have curtains that are easy to wash and hang up again. Thankfully, they stay pretty clean! Iā€™ve given up on blinds and no one has complained!

4 Likes