Another enquiry, another discount seeker

Starting to think this is airbnb plan to keep prices low, new competitors desperate for a review ready to accept a loss as long as they get a 5 star.

How can you compete with that? I’m starting to like my local super strict hospitality regulations whih are putting an end to casual low-cost rentals on airbnb.

It can’t be - no one is forcing us to price the way we do. Hosts have complete freedom in that department. Our apartments have always been priced higher that the local ‘competition’ and i suspect that we get booked more.

I don’t know your market so mea culpa forget the rest of what I said except;

I really think it is a mistake to involve yourself into your guest’s private business. What hotel would tell you “don’t go to the red light district next door, it’s dangerous”.

It’s very simple, you just don’t accept additional guests in excess of what is declared on the airbnb reservation, or anyone not registered in your room/apartment/space.

You can state this very easily in your house rules: no guests on the property, nobody may enter garden/pool/apartment except the people declared in the reservation.

Apparently you are there present so you hav e a good chance of noticing if this is not respected. Register people when they arrive and compare the number of people with the airbnb booking.

Whatever they do in their private life as long as they don’t bring guests back to your place, well that’s their problem!

When you are superhost, invest yourself totally in your hosting business as you apparently do, you can price slightly higher and still get bookings.

But you can’t deny that the airbnb machine constantly tries to get you to lower your price to that they make more bookings and get more commissions.

1 Like

I do not even read the suggestions, the ones they email go straight to the spam folder the ones on the app I delete when they pop up.

RR

2 Likes

True, I can’t deny it but it’s easy to ignore them. I do worry though that there are many hosts who simply aren’t making money because they pay attention to what Airbnb ‘suggest’ to them. Airbnb has no clue how much hosts should charge and yet otherwise sane and sensible people are believing them. I find it bizarre.

3 Likes

Well it’s great that you get your bookings and you make your money at the price you decided.

That’s what we all should do.

You can’t deny the pressure and influence the system puts on hosts, to provide above standard service beyond what hotels ever provided for cheaper prices than ever imagined.

I have been to university courses on internet marketing, the methods deployed are absolutely lethal. Anyone who thinks people (even yourself) are “totally free” agents is delusional.

Airbnb’s price suggestions make me laugh. And showing me my listing was viewed but they booked elsewhere for $x less per night… I know it is BS. I know my area and market well. No one has their rates even close to what abb suggests they do. I do agree that they want lower rates and more bookings… i just ignore.

1 Like

Well first of all we’re not a hotel. Secondly we care for our guests, so we extensively inform them about several security risks. And we’re even increasing the amount of advice we give, certainly after some of our guests got drugged on a bus in what should be considered a relative safe region of the country and another guest got robbed of all of his professional equipment in the same region. Both facts occurred because of being careless. Had we warned them, they could have passed without any trouble.

Me myself when traveling have received unsolicited but crucial safety advice several times, and I always greatly appreciated it.

All due respect, but I don’t think you get what kind of country our BnB is in. And I also think you don’t get the degree of openness in the communication between gays. Our rules are very clear and state “no guests”, still some guests ask us if it’s ok to take another boy home every day. They themselves reveal their private business, we don’t ask for it. We also don’t judge them but do give them good advice on better ways to go about their business. If they find this condescending, so be it, I won’t loose my sleep over this. I care about people and I am proud of it.

1 Like

Got it, totally different market totally different environment that I know nothing about so I will shut up and if not delete my prior comments take them humbly back here.

But I am now very curious as to what country/city you are in!

And do you have any experience with MisterBnb we are also gay friendly and it seems perhaps this platform would better adress your environment?

No need to delete your prior comments :wink: , that only creates a weird sequence in the conversation. I will send you a private message. Since even the chief moderator went incognito on this forum, I’m also trying to be a bit more anonymous :grin:.

1 Like

I read them before deleting, but only for a laugh.

1 Like

Excuse me? Because I don’t pay attention to Airbnb’s price suggestions I am delusional?

So, it’s only people who are delusional who manage to resist this ‘lethal’ activity?

2 Likes