Another demanding guest...”your cat meows too loudly”

@CeeBee
Thanks for your feedback.
What would be better wording? “My cat sometimes meows outside your door in the early morning”? Then let the guest decide what to do with that information?

I’m sorry if you felt attacked @Helsi. A lot of people here are suggesting putting the cat in a room at night, which may work for some cats, but not for mine, which is the only reason I didn’t take positively to your advice. I would have to lock her in my room, and then she’d be crying all night to get out, thus waking me up, and probably would still wake the guests up as they’d hear the noise down the hall. I do value all the advice here, and I’m happy to accommodate guests in any way I can, but am not in a position to revamp my home setup for one guest’s complaint when 90% of my reviews speak highly of the cat.

4 Likes

I think that would be preferable. I’d also think about providing ear plugs and/or white noise machine, and including that in the listing as well.

How early is early, exactly? If it happens around the same time each day, maybe find a way to mention that in your description. If your guests tend to be early risers, or are heavy sleepers, it might not be a problem at all.

Yes, on the advice of our vet. Campylobacter is not fun for humans to contract.

I’m cleaning more than when I have guests in/out!

1 Like

That’s the same model I have. But I find most of my guests prefer to have a fan…

My sister closes the door to her open plan living space downstairs. Her outdoor cat has full reign of a living room, study, dining room, kitchen with a cat flap and is quite happy.

I think it depends on your property but it definitely can be a solution as other hosts here have demonstrated to have your cat in a contained space where they can’t roam outside a guests door in the early hours.

@LoneStar, I think this may be a bit extreme. As I said in an earlier post, I’ve had individuals who claim to be severely allergic to cats successfully stay in my home with nary an issue. You make is sound like a house with cats is akin to a toxic waste dump.

1 Like

A house with cats will in fact send many people to the hospital.

I am not entirely sure I believe this, but in any case, if it’s true, and I were one of those people, I’d be damned sure I read a listing from top to bottom if I were contemplating staying in a stranger’s home. And I’d probably message the host before booking, just to be sure.

My health and wellbeing are my responsibility, not that of some Airbnb host six states away.

4 Likes

yes, some people are allergic to cats, but absurd to put it this way

3 Likes

Oh crap, there goes my hypo allergenic Airbnb room!

2 Likes

A recent guest claimed a severe cat allergy, asked about where the kittens accessed and were they kept away from laundry/bed linen etc etc. Yes, of course they are, so she stayed, claiming to be popping antihistamines to cope.

Until I found her fussing Jasper, with Florence having a cuddle in her arms, on her last night.

4 Likes

Not funny… we have one that opens doors.
Locking is not a solution unless you like repainting doors.

1 Like

That’s so funny! It’s amazing how these severe allergies can disappear at times. Hope your lovelies are getting on fine.

I mean the cats, obviously :anguished: :laughing:

1 Like

It’s pretty absurd to see an eyeball bulging out of its socket, twice its normal size, while their throat is also closing up because of being exposed to dander from someone else’s clothing. I didn’t make that up.

Well, that’s a very serious condition indeed. So the onus is on that individual to ensure that they’re staying somewhere safe, surely? If you have such an unusual severe allergy, you can’t expect everyone to re-arrange the world to fit, can you?
I mean, some people are highly allergic to bees. I can’t guarantee that they won’t encounter any bees when they stay. I’m not God.

4 Likes

If I kept bees on my property, I’d include that information prominently in my description and photos because many people are severely allergic. I know bees can swarm there, so I do warn them that there is no 24 hour pharmacy nearby and to bring an ample supply of allergy rescue medications.

But… bees just fly around! Sometimes they bumble through an open window. It doesn’t mean it’s a “swarm”. I don’t know. It must be so difficult to live with a severe allergy so I’m sympathetic. But you really can’t expect the entire world to change it’s natural cycle to accommodate you.

1 Like

It is my opinion that a host should prominently display environmental hazards in pictures. I don’t expect anyone to change. I’ve made my opinion on that matter clear. And this one, as well. Y’all do you.

1 Like

So… I should say that a bee might fly through the window if they open it? Seriously? Bees aren’t “hazards” by the way. They are a vital component of our ecosystem.

I acknowledge that I’m pushing things here and I have no wish to be combative. I am genuinely interested in what you think constitutes an environmental hazard and how you can guard against it. For example, I live on a busy road. I can detect gas fumes when my window is open. The guest room is at the back of the house so it’s fine. But I can’t 100% guarantee that some of those fumes might not filter through the entire house.
Luckily my house is quite draughty and I live in a very windy city so it’s not been a problem so far.

1 Like