And that’s my second 1 star

Today we received our 2nd 1-star in over 550 reviews.

We expected this.
They were 5 22-yo boys, we caught them red handed stealing beer from our fridge.

We have this fridge for 5 years and guest can take what ever they want and leave the money or pay is later.

Now we noticed the beer go missing but no money and no guest coming to us to pay.

I have a camera at the reception facing the front door, so I decided to change its angle and we recorded them taking beer.

When leaving we asked them and they denied, so we showed them the footage. Now they had to admit they took the beer. On top of that I told them that I thought their religion does not allow them to drink alcohol… of course they had no reply… just stared at the floor.

After this I told them I wanted to check the room because I expected more surprises… and yes, as expected… there the room was a disaster… garbage and empty bags everywhere… empty beer and liquor bottles hidden under the bed… food still and dirty plates still on the table… etc etc.

Well, that single 1star does not hurt us. Chasing AirBnB is not worth my time. And most guests will notice it is totally out of line with all other reviews…

2 Likes

I like your perspective on things. 550 reviews and only two far extreme ones. And I believe you are correct that most guests will read between the lines / reviews to come up with the overall picture.

Where I think you failed is by bringing up the guests’ religion. Theft is your business; allowing drinking in your home is your business; BUT their religion is none of your business.

Be prepared if those guests file a claim with ABNB legal.

I know this from my own experience with a guest who rated me 5 stars and had only accolades about his stay (in messages and texts) … until he saw the review I left him. Two weeks later I had a letter from ABNB legal advising that a guest felt discriminated against. It was fraudulent and retaliatory, as ABNB later concluded after examining his review, his messages and his texts.

4 Likes

Amen, brother.

Seriously, though, it simply shouldn’t have come up.

3 Likes

:pray: :laughing: :pray:

Sorry it happened. Hope you described their behavior in your review of them.

Five men in one room?

1 Like
3 Likes

Why do you think they were hiding their drinking? The reason they visit the area is because of their religion.

Also we had/have guests with the same religion staying with us during their stay, and they came to us excusing them and telling us they felt ashamed for them. They were happy with how I approached them.

So that will be 2 5-star reviews to compensate… :relieved:

Why? There is nothing about this in writing not in the message system and not in the review.
I am smart and experienced enough to keep that stuff out.

Ah … there is now. And it was out of line.

@Chris – if you cannot suppress your feelings about race/religion perhaps you should get out of the Hospitality business. That sort of thig is NOT tolerated.

2 Likes

It’s done. Nothing can change that. I am sure that there have been enough comments here to convince you that it wasn’t a good idea. Not good hospitality.

In the same breath, It’s probably true. None of my business, but it is entirely possible that a bunch of young men did what a bunch of young men do.

Mistakes were made on both sides. I would be inclined to contact them and suggest you both drop the matter.

2 Likes

Fortunately my business does not depend on oversensitive triggered US hosts, but on guests from all countries and religions who like to discuss culture and religion.

5 Likes

That implies you know Airbnb would not approve. Don’t you think it would be better to just not bring it up in the first place?

2 Likes

Whether it is in writing or not, it was spoken and you might have made your guests feel uncomfortable by bringing it up.

My situation was as simple as this:

In meeting the guest and showing him around the guest house, I mentioned that there was some homemade lemon cake in the refrigerator. He kindly asked if I would be offended if he declined; that because of the Jewish Holidays he and his girlfriend had to refrain. I responded that it was no problem at all and removed the cake. In follow up I asked him if he was aware of the nearby synagogue. That was the only mention of faith and the only reason I was aware of his religion; it was a harmless discussion that wasn’t in writing. BUT I am guessing that he used this as his retaliation for the negative review (I had left him).

My point is that it doesn’t need to be in writing, and it doesn’t have to be factual. Your guests have more reason for calling it out, than mine did, as you said they were looking at the floor when you brought it up, and probably made them feel uncomfortable.

You’re obviously a good host with 550 reviews, But that doesn’t mean that sometimes we don’t make mistakes. I just offer this as a lesson learned.

1 Like

Maybe that second 1 star review won’t hurt your ratings but surely someone has to clean up that room. I personally would have not hosted these people. i try as much as I can to read into my guests and if I sense potential danger I don’t host them.

I try not to host under 25. 5 22 yo? It’s like hosting a herd of goats. when it’s five of them together, you don’t imagine they came to study or job hunting. they came to party. of course they trashed your room. this is what 22 boys do. it’s like spring break, right?

1 Like

I’m sure you are but I do wonder why you let the room get into such a state. I always think that I’m a pretty lenient host who’ll accommodate just about anyone but even so I’d keep a very close eye on five 22 year olds. Did they book for five people? It does seem to be a lot of people for one room, no matter how big.

It’s lucky that you feel that way because I’m afraid that HH_AZ is right - those men might decide to play the religion card. Let’s hope they don’t.

1 Like

Odds are they won’t. Their behavior was unacceptable, and they know it. These are not adults, but a bunch of kids being naughty and being called out on it.

The chances are that you’re right.

But hosts would be well advised to keep quiet about a guest’s religion, just to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Unless the host allowed them to book because they supposedly didn’t drink alcohol!

Even if the host assumed that the guests did not drink because of their religion (wrong thing to do) he shouldn’t be advising them that because of their religion they shouldn’t be drinking. It’s not none of his business and is against ABNB policy.

2 Likes