American guests cancelling, because of war maybe?

I’m American and love traveling to Europe but these days I’m staying close to home. For me it was fear of being quarantined overseas if I tested positive for COVID but now with Russia invading Ukraine, that also makes me want to stay close to home. Thefefore, I think for many folks, it’s a combination of both.

4 Likes

I agree that COVID quarantine fears are a big factor although some are certainly concerned about potential war. A friend of mine got quarantined in Athens and by the time she got home, it was too late for treatments that work best early in the process and she died. My daughter is headed to Rome later this month and I’m a little anxious about it.

Sorry you’re losing bookings @JohnF As a complete aside I never realised there were bad mosquitoes in Andalusia. I’ll be avoiding summer travel then.

Back on topic, we have had a couple of cancellations in Amsterdam but nothing too major as of now. And new bookings are coming in.

But I am sure that the war must be weighing on travellers minds albeit balanced by a desire to travel after the past couple of years of restrictions.

Quarantine does come up as a concern with guests. My personal view regarding formal test before travel requirements is that this will fairly quickly go away for many countries. And with that, the fear of being trapped overseas will diminish.

The EU is already moving to a personal vaccine profile based approach and the UK has already binned pretty much everything I think. NL still requires inbound testing but probably nit for much longer. USA requirements remain but I imagine will likely have changed by the summer.

Although speaking personally we always test before travelling anyway. Just trying to be responsible.

Cheers all

Neil

1 Like

We were planning a trip to Italy in June and I put my foot down and said no. I do not want to be jetting around the world as if nothing is happening like a fat entitled American and having no idea what will be happening in June. I do think it is the war that is causing cancellations or people like me who are changing plans.

So now we are considering Iceland, I do not have full veto power it seems

RR

3 Likes

I haven’t seen anything in the UK but I have moved back to a strict cancellation policy after having about 18 people cancel since December (five Covid) because they change their mind .

1 Like

I had a similar run for a while and filled the days quickly, so it wasn’t too bad. I’m a bit concerned about a guest whose booked my place for 10 days at the end of March/beginning of April

If I move to a strict cancelation policy, does that automatically change her cancelation policy from Flexible to Strict or does she stay at Flexible? She’s blocked 10 days in high season and I’d refund any days I would rebook…

It is the policy that is in place at the time of booking that applies, @casailinglady .

2 Likes

In December I had several people book then cancel. These were within a day or two of the booking but I got nothing because I was on flexible policy. So I changed to moderate and now I only open the calendar for the next 5 days. Anyone who books for one night loses their money and one nighters are most of my business. Since then I’ve only had one cancellation.

2 Likes

Yes I had moved to moderate and was having people cancel a few weeks before travel. No I am back on Strict and won’t move again, I would rather have fewer certain bookings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

VRBO sends emails that say how many more bookings Mr X got when he switched to a fully refundable cancellation policy. What they never say is how many more cancellations he got.

6 Likes

Those messages really annoy me!
So, somebody got a booking in my area, bunches of flowers for them!
The reason I am not getting bookings on the platform is because I have 70% direct bookings, so my calendar is full.
I want to email them back with something like - Work Harder and earn your ridiculous fees.

3 Likes

I believe Airbnb no longer has limit on three refunds of Airbnb service fees per year.

This encourages people to book speculatively and then cancel.

I can tell you for sure, as I’m Mr X.
Lots.
I have a flexible cancellation policy because that works best here for a couple of reasons including that it is easy to get dates rebooked.
Lots of cancellations, though. Lots of waffling up until the last minute, then cancelling. If I had a “normal” place, I would firm it up.

Ooo, thank you! :wink:

1 Like

It’s the opposite.

They aren’t refunding service fees three times per year anymore. They’re only refunding if you cancel within the first 48 hours after booking now.

1 Like

One guest booked a reservation on firm policy and he got a refund for the service fees even though it was outside 48 hours after booking.

I am going to contact a few more guests who canceled to confirm.

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, I’m only speaking to the policy. They go against their policies all of the time. But it is still not a free for all for guests to get their service fees back.

1 Like

Happy days. Not completely filled, but within two days good proportion booked, and from the UK :rofl:

God man. We’re well stocked with antigen tests so tend to do one every week or so. Our rate here is still pretty high, compared to last year, so we feel it’s the prudent thing to do.

Portly my good man, portly; never fat.

Excellent. Less chance of you turning up on my doorstep. Kidding :joy:

Different markets need different policies, as in strict doesn’t work here, but it does an hour up the road in Sevilla.

JF

1 Like

algún día mi amigo

RR

1 Like

Avísame, tendré que comprar una alfombra roja nueva :rofl:

JF

1 Like

¡Si llega a la alfombra roja, quiero una botella de Oloroso cuando me encuentres en el muelle de Cádiz!