Am I overreacting

By george, I’ll bet the cleaners have a black-market mustard syndicate going…

4 Likes

That was my first thought too!! Black market for half used condiments!

@konacoconutz I know it is VERY bizarre! We have 3 properties and this is the ONLY one where people help themselves. At first I thought it was a simple mistake, with someone emptying the fridge before they leave and just tossing everything. Then I noticed olive oil, Trader Joes pepper mill, Sriracha, etc disappearing. I started testing my theory by restocking condiments with Costco sizes, like ketchup, mustard, etc… and sure enough within a week completely gone! I even bought weirdo vegan mayo, and poof gone. I don’t believe its the house keepers as I have shown up on occasion to actual condiments left in the fridge. The perils of hosting!

1 Like

That is incredibly bizarre.

I had another thought. There are some things I use verbal cues for in my own place (for example, I supply things like toothbrushes, etc, that I would rather not have someone take all of.)

All I say is, “If you notice that I have run out of any of these items, will you please let me know? That helps me know to restock before the next guest.” That seemed to really have made a difference.

So, in other words, instead of a “don’t take all of them” I use a “help yourself but let me know if you take the last one” approach.

1 Like

Have you instructed the cleaners to leave condiments? I know some cleaners think it is a bonanza of free stuff when they clean out the fridge… They think you want them to toss everything?

When you said Costco sizes, I realized it is most likely the cleaners!

In that case, I might make your note much more emphatic. “Condiments are the property of___(name of property.) Please leave for next guest…” or something like that… . since this has been an ongoing problem…

Seriously though it sounds like the cleaners to me… Have you asked them?

Its not the cleaners, I have brought this up multiplte times with them, to the point they send me photos of te fridge :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

OK… wow…

Just nuts to think of guests who are on holidays helping themselves to pepper mills, vegan mayo and Costco salt! Must you start to inventory these things??? Really really bizarre!

Very bizarre! We have a cupboard in the kitchen stocked with olive oil, herbs and spices, a few canned goods, extra teabags & coffee, hot sauce, soy sauce etc. and I don’t think that any of it has ever been used!

Agree with Kona here. You are definitely not overreacting. However, I don’t think the cost of replacing the items is the real issue. What matters is how disrespectful they were. Other hosts deserve to know about this so they don’t have to suffer the same level of mistreatment of their space. Guests like this also need to learn that they can’t just barrel through life behaving this way without consequences. I hope they find it difficult to rent on Air BnB after this.

3 Likes