Am I Just Being a Soft Touch!

The only fruit I’ve noticed that the guests really seem to like is bananas. When I buy them; they always get eaten.

The warning is as soon as they ask for a discount or better price…

Now every time someone has asked me this I decline their reservation - because every other guest who has previously asked for a discount, went on to complain, bitch & whinge about so many insignificant things :rolling_eyes:

Honestly its easier to just cancel & let them go elsewhere … they’re so annoying…

3 Likes

“…trays of food bouncing around in a boat…”
“Delusional Guest”…

You are sooo entertaining!

2 Likes

Hi @Mearns,

What’s the price? (Just curious.)

PS: You should write a book. Maybe “Bird Island and Me”? Or “Adventures on Bird Island”. Or “So You Want Your Own Private Island”?

2 Likes

Yes, bananas seem popular here too, for some reason. I don’t get it. I’m no nutritionist, but I always thought they were not particularly healthy. Nor tasty, in my opinion.

I’m with you SandyToes: I laughed aloud when I read this description of delusional guest. You need a sense of humor to be a host!

1 Like

Ha ha! You’d think that’s who it was!
Yes, you’re right, adjusting the house rules is the way to go. However, they are only good if people actually read them. I wonder if my current celebs have actually bothered to do so.

yup, a count down clock has already started. they are out of here tomorrow morning, and I want to find a way of making sure they don’t come back. I’m not planning to leave them a negative revue, as I will get one back. Also, they have been totally pleasant throughout this.

We sure could always use a sense of humor when hosting true.

On the ‘Delusional Guest’ above, here is the kicker: The local ‘cooks’ are Creole, the local cooking is very ‘rich’ meaning done with all kinds of weird roots and spices, and done in heavy deep fried reused oils (tastes like used motor oil). Their minimum 35-spice cooking will confuse your mind when you eat their cooking, because your taste buds will have no idea which way to go. So this isn’t going to work, ‘Delutional’ will surely get a brain seizure on the first meal.

They will now be 6 people, perfect, only 3 separate beds, no room for Genniva the ‘cook’, bummer.

Summer here in Spain is fabulous for fruit, so I’m able to provide melon, watermelon, mangoes, figs, peaches, grapes etc. at not much expense. But the thing about fruit is that people are lazy (can’t complain as I am too). I provide a large mixed plate of the above, prepared and cut up for breakfast and people rave about it … but provide the same fruit in a bowl for people to cut up for themselves? … nah, can’t be bothered!

2 Likes

I bet she’s going to expect the cook to make gluten-free food. I can just sense it.

2 Likes

I am thinking vegan-raw-gluten free. And hates cumin.

2 Likes

They can’t see your review before they write theirs.

Let me ditto what garden gnome said. If they leave a review you will get it whether you leave them one or not. If you don’t want them to leave you one then don’t leave them one, as that just sends them an additional reminder.

If a cook were to stay on the island, the guests wouldn’t have that much privacy…right?? Wouldn’t the cook basically be able to overhear private conversations, etc…no??

Doesn’t that other island that costs triple the amount come with a cook? Send her there? - lol

Yeah, Ford Coppola’s new ‘Coral Island’. They charge $1180 per first 2 people; but comes with a cook. ‘Bird Island’ $395, no cook.

They are coming with 6 people now, I think privacy has been dropped.

Sounds like Genniva dodged a bullet with these guests now that there is not room for her. They probably would have expected her to be their maid and butler, too. Was she going to stay over or boat in daily?

BTW I’ve been vegan for almost 15 years and haven’t had trouble finding food to eat when traveling abroad, but I can’t be uptight about it or expect everyone to cater to me. I have to “let it go” that food will be cooked with chicken stock. I research what local dishes are already vegan and stick to those. I eat a lot of rice and beans, which is good for me!

Stay over, boating her back and forth is out of the question. Actually, I don’t want these people to come and I am making sure they understand the narrow parameters of behavior before they arrive. I already could see they will be trouble, if allowed.

2 Likes

Are you talking about Garifuna food? We had a great coconut fish curry wrapped in banana leaf and served with cassava bread and it was really the best food we enjoyed on Ambergris. When I stayed on Caye Caulker the next time, I was disappointed to not find anyone cooking Garifuna. I did love Errolyn’s fryjacks on Caye Caulker when she was selling them out of a window of a fish and tackle shop – I heard she opened her own little place now.

Creole, as you know different than Garifuna, which I like. Say next time I go to Key Caulker, will look her up.

1 Like