Am I Doing Something Dumb?

I have twins also. Special club we are a part of. :heart:️:heart:️

2 Likes

Is listing your guns a good idea? I’m asking genuinely as I know things are different there than here with guns so it may not be a big deal. Are home break ins common to source guns; or nah because they’re so easy to come by (legally or illegally) anyway?

But to me, single woman, with a home that has a gun? 1. I’d be worried about undesirable guests and 2. Locals, if your home is easily identified without address being given (as mine is)

Of course, this doesn’t take into account that youre a woman with a gun and you seriously know how to use it so bring them on😂

2 Likes

Did you know that Airbnb has a place to list any dangerous weapons or pets that are on the property? “Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right.”

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1529/what-are-airbnb-s-rules-about-weapons-in-a-listing

1 Like

I don’t see anything about pets?

1 Like

Sorry I don’t know where it is. But I’ve seen it and I’m sure someone else has as well. Maybe they will recall where it is. It’s just more CYA for Airbnb.

1 Like

Yes I realise you would need to disclose to airbnb, but I’m asking about displaying such info publicly in your listing.

It might be a red beacon to undesirables here, but there something that is completely uneventful? I don’t know, but I was curious about it.

1 Like

I don’t know if someone would take it as “I better not mess with this woman” or as “this woman has highly desirable valuables in her home. I wonder what else she has that I could steal?” Guns are very highly desirable to steal even though they are easy to buy in this country.

1 Like

My overractive imagination or a crappy movie plot? But undesirables (but not at the level required to source them on the down low!) conspiring to pull off a crime trying to figure where to get the weapon from, when one pipes up: wait, there is a lovely single lady in my neighbourhood…

2 Likes

I think there are much easier ways to rob people than by booking an Airbnb but apparently it does happen.

1 Like

They ask…and I felt like I would be negligent to not disclose it. I guess I thought it would deter crazies if they knew and I also want to have consideration for those with children and/or moral objections. I also fully disclose the security cameras and where they are, and I showed the current guest where they are so he could be comfortable knowing I wasn’t a weirdo voyeur spying on him.One in my car, one locked in the safe, and one on me. It’s a long story. I live in a really small town in an upscale neighborhood. That said, I dated a guy for a few months in 2015 who turned out to be undesireable. BTW, my friend does deep background checks, so that’s how I found out the guy was a criminal. He was so nice at first, and told me he didn’t drink, but he’s a raging alcoholic and turns into someone else. So I have a permanent protective order and I’m in a special program that allows me to stay safe, which is a secondary reason I’m moving. Anyway, he broke into my house at 1p in the afternoon and attacked me. That was the first of it. Spent over a year in and out of courtrooms telling the same details to every prosecutor, and I understand the politics of the DA’s office, but it was absurd. The guy still contacts me through various obscure numbers, and just in case anyone doesn’t know, anything and everything you do on your phone or laptop can be discovered by law enforcement almost immediately. He was convicted of two charges, and now he has yet another warrant which is a seond degree felony because it was also a probation violation from one of the initial charges. During that period when the police were here every day, they told me to load up on firearms, get the training, and also told me some other protections I had if it came ro a worst case scenario and told me exactly how to make sure I was fully covered from a legal perspective. I would have never owned a gun before I met this guy, but I was trained by a former mercenary, as were both daughters. We are all proficient, and they may actually be better marksmen because they are short and have crazy stability. I don’t have the victim gene, so in some situations, you get one chance. I don’t tolerate nonsense, because I am solely responsible
for being a role model for what behavior is acceptable, and I take that seriously. My ex husband was a jerk, but would never even consider laying a hand on me. So, probably TMI…but I have realized that in spite of a few crazies, most people wake up every day with at least a latent goal of being a good person. I also keep long shot pepper spray, because I could never fire at someone who was using my child as a shield. Worst case scenario, some intruder has her, I shoot the pepper spray, she gets a little in her eyes, but he lets go, and I attempt to disarm him, but if it’s him or my daughter, that’s an easy decision. My typing is getting sloppy which means I have hit my brain wall for the day.

I don’t know…how many of you disclose firearms and why or why not? Should I start a new topic or should I search for an existing one?

I appreciate the feedback, though. All great points.

Yes, and I did that. I answered honestly. As a mother, I would want to know these things as a guest, so I had no reservations about disclosing. When I stay somewhere, I always dosclose the fact that I carry. If that concerns them, I certainly understand and respect that. I’m not a crazy teen who is going to go Yosemite Sam. I have been trained and like most law enforcement, I hope I never have to unholster.

I don’t think the disclosure question has been asked but we’ve talked about guns before. A lot debate about guns on them. We go off topic a lot so it’s okay on here.

My answer is I don’t disclose mine because they can’t access it. My air guests are in different part of the house and I don’t feel obligated to disclose it.

2 Likes

So yes…when you set up your listing, it’s in the rules area…the parts people have to agree to. If you don’t have firearms or pets, you could easily overlook it. You can modify the changes any time.

No one would find my guns unless they were looking really hard. If a guest was carrying, wouldn’t that be important info for you? I have no problem with it as long as they can provide the make, model, and SN, so I can check it isn’t stolen, and they know what they are talking about. That said, I would watch how they handle it, and I would ask them to leave if they seemed reckless or incompetent. Hell, I sit with my gun on my desk in my home office when I’m alone. My cat doesn’t seem to mind. :joy: My girls are used to it. When I stand up, I slip the holster on so it isn’t left unattended. I certainly think it’s a great conversation to have.

I’m a discloser too, I hate confrontation so I feel if it is all laid out in my listing people can just click away if they don’t like it, so I completely understand.

And you are so thoughtful and lovely to think of those who may not like guns, instead of just saying I like my guns, and you just have to deal with it if you stay here!!! Xxx

But airbnb only need you to disclose to your guests if they’re in an obvious place. Are they? Would your guest’s ever know otherwise? Could their children stumble on them or the key?

If you feel like you would still prefer people to know, especially those with children, you could let them know as part of your template response when you respond to their enquiry? A line reminding them of your security cams, and hey btw I have a secured gun too. That greatly reduces the knowledge to the wider community that you have guns in your home.

Chances are, it’s a slim to none chance that anything bad would ever come of it, but it would just make me worry!

I live in a suburb with 2 streets, my house is easily identifiable and I’m paranoid as hell haha! If you feel completely comfortable with it then that is all that matters!