Am I bullied by "Stanford" students and staff?

This time I am being serious: what are

Chartist ancestors? I have never heard of it before.

Boastful rather than an experienced traveller?

Chartists were Victorian revolutionaries who wanted “gasp” political and social rights for the working class (the vote, equal representation in government, and other radical ideas). Called Chartists because of the People’s Charter they wrote which detailed their six demands of the Crown. Most active between 1838 and 1848. During that period there were a number of “round ups”, and various people were transported for ‘treasonous acts’ or other ‘crimes against the Crown’.

4 Likes

Thank you for enlightening me. Australia is very light on with history compared to most other countries.

@baoshipb No, I don’t think you were bullied at all; sure, the school administrator was pushy but you held the power to take multiple steps to protect yourself but you failed to do so. I think you can still try to get some money from Stanford provided your communications with the university were in writing, as follows: (a) if you communicated (in writing) to the university that there was a power outage and the university continued to have students check-in your place, the school needs to own up to its actions, in particular the cost of cleaning up after the students, (b) if the university did NOT cancel the booking and then further threatened to give you a bad review, that is against Airbnb rules, and therefore it needs to be accountable for it.
If this situation happened in the past couple of days, I think you still hold the power to persuade Airbnb to support you and get some money from the guests (or from Airbnb as it was wrong to do what it did).

3 Likes

This is all excellent advice. Unfortunately, I think @baoshipb already agreed to the refund. I’d say this experience was a $3347 mistake on her part.

After living abroad for half of my adult life I can assure you that nearly no one will accept “America” as the answer to where you’re from. Almost everyone wants to know the state or city.

Yep. You called out all of the things I would’ve mentioned.

1 Like

Lots of us are experienced travellers @Poppy , we just don’t bang on about it on multiple threads :slight_smile: As you said ‘no-one likes a smart-ass’.

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t keep up with your inconsistencies, your previous message said you didn’t know I was a frequent traveller

Too true @Poppy there is that tendency for some in the US to do that, although quite honestly I don’t keep track of how often individual hosts on here travel so didn’t know you were a frequent traveller.

And your very next message:

Lots of us are experienced travellers @Poppy , we just don’t bang on about it on multiple threads :slight_smile: As you said ‘no-one likes a smart-ass’.

I am not being inconsistent @Poppy

I hadn’t remembered actually that you had mentioned quite a few times about the many countries you had visited and airbnb’s you had stayed in
 Until you reminded me. Twice. In one thread :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Anyway back to the thread. I think this is an interesting lessons for newer hosts, if unfortunately an incredibly expensive lesson for @baoshipb

1 Like

This was a disaster waiting to happen. And the angels were on your side. You just don’t know it yet.

When admin has to arrange what sounds like a kegger, you are a de facto student party organizer at a fraction of the price of a hotel. You are way over capacity, and they are taking no responsibility.

If there is a fire, accident, or God forbid a Blasey Ford, well 

Goodbye. Hasta la headache. Have a hot coffee and a cinnamon bun.

NEXT.

2 Likes

I sincerely wanted to help the students with their outing in the area. Plus they are Stanford students and staff. To me they were as persuasive and convincing as Elizabeth Holmes.
I requested money in AirBnB, and also involved AirBnB in my request. AirBnB case manager told me that they could help remove bad review. That’s it.
I feel I am kind of stubborn here. But I don’t want to give up yet. Whom in Stanford should I write to? How do I escalate my request in AirBnB?
Thanks much for your comments and suggestions.

I don’t know who to complain to except warn your local host community (do you have a Facebook page?) and maybe warn people on Nextdoor.

The richer the university, the cheaper they are. Try getting a speakers honorarium our of an Ivy League.

2 Likes

How far is Stanford from you place and how far is your house from the rental?

When you offered 17 people showers, I am surprised not one person took you up on your offer. Was the toilet/showers and everything still fine with running water, but it was just not hot??

And when you offered to allow them to cook breakfast at your house
did you know if they had food in the fridge? Did they say something about their food spoiling?

What kind of outing were they on, and why was faculty booking this for them? Was this some sort of university paid field trip?

Did the guest notify ABB within 24 hours of becoming aware of the issue? Here is part of the guest refund policy. You can find the whole thing on their site if you google Airbnb guest refund policy.

3. Conditions to Claim a Travel Issue

To submit a valid claim for a Travel Issue and receive the benefits with respect to your booking, you are required to meet each of the following conditions:

(a) you must be the Guest that booked the Accommodation;

(b) you must bring the Travel Issue to our attention in writing or via telephone and provide us with information (including photographs or other evidence) about the Accommodation and the circumstances of the Travel Issue within 24 hours after the later of (i) the start of your booking or (ii) you discover the existence of the Travel Issue , and must respond to any requests by us for additional information or cooperation on the Travel Issue;

© you must not have directly or indirectly caused the Travel Issue (through your action, omission or negligence); and

(d) unless Airbnb advises you that the Travel Issue cannot be remediated, you must have used reasonable efforts to try to remedy the circumstances of the Travel Issue with the Host prior to making a claim for a Travel Issue.

It is a tough battle, against Stanford, and AirBnB. I am so very tired. Thanks everyone for your kindness and support.

Take a break, regain strength, and continue the good fight. We have you for support, mireso if you come to us before making some of the decisions of your now past. See, you are leading already! Welcome to Airbnb Host-dom!