Alternatives to AirBnb

9 Flats stinks. I dumped them long ago.

1 Like

We have listed on Wimdu and Airbnb, we have had a few bookings from Wimdu but the vast majority come through Airbnb. We haven’t had any issues with Wimdu but then we have never had to contact them in an emergency.

Luckily we are pretty much full using just airbnb but we are about to bring a new listing on line and are considering other platforms.

I just looked at yourporter. It imports from Wimdu. Are they connected? Why just Wimdu and not others? That makes me suspicious.

In two days I have my last Flip Key guests, that booked a year ago, I already ‘phased’ them out long ago.

1 Like

Hi Kristina,

I see that this Wimdu post is from last year and i just wanted to kindly ask about updates of wimdu.
i just register with them as a host in the US, they asked for my ID. is it normal?
are they still not reporting to IRS?

thank you

Well, I am not sure about the reporting. If they ask for your social security number then yes, they could report you. If they ask for your other ID, it’s just for verification. By the way, even if THEY don’t report you, you still have to report all your income to the IRS! I wouldn’t advise not doing that!

1 Like

Hermit is a great alternative i’ve been using (n.b. just London listings apparently). As a host, you have a small business use your home as their office space during the day, paying you a monthly rent. There’s much more visibility on your earnings, it requires far less maintenance and you actually earn more on average than I did with Airbnb… Worth checking out - i love it so far (hermitoffices.com)

I also host on The Plum Guide. They’re based in London and relatively new but the experience has been brilliant. They only list a select few hosts and they have a pretty intense testing process but I’m getting much bigger bookings and better guests. You can sync your calendars with AirBnb and the plumbing is essentially the same: they take the same cut of the profit etc.

Definitely worth checking out!

2 Likes

We can add to this list misterbnb.com and Innclusive.com.

1 Like

Just for kix I listed on Glamping hub and have my first booking as of yesterday.
The cons are that they write your copy for you and their first version of my copy was so wildly inaccurate it could have read, “located within walking distance to the moon, K’s cottage is the perfect, blah blah blah,” so going through the so called editing process with the company is a bit of a PITA. Another con is no security deposit (well you can collect one but it’s up to you to return it, so I did it through PayPal.) you will have to tell the guest upon inquiry that this is the case. Each inquiry creates a separate message thread and was not easily changed or edited.

One easy pro is that they can collect non commissionable tax for you. Yet another pro is that you can set the cancellation policy on NO refund! However you still get paid upon check in. When my guest saw this she took out her own travel insurance. What a hell of a concept!

If you look through their properties you will see they are mostly exotic or outdoor ones like yurts and tree houses but there are also regular houses listed.

Rates seem to be about the same as Air.

You can send them any of your reviews to get started or they will pull them off Air.

2 Likes

VacationHosting at http://vacationhosting.com allows flexibility for hosts to post their listings as Properties or Vacation Rentals. The latter has the option to pass the site’s Service Fee to the guests. It also enables hosts to use their properties as Home Exchange (Home Swapping) with other hosts within the platform, whenever they want to travel. Furthermore, hosts with office tables or conference tables in their properties can also list their spaces for rent under Work Spaces, whiles hosts with available parking spaces on their properties can rent out those spaces under Parking Spots.

Well Johnny, aren’t you going to offer us Private Beta invites? :smiley:

@konacoconutz Of course you and other members of the forum are invited to the Private Beta. Please request invite at http://vacationhosting.com landing page by clicking ‘Request Invite’ tab at the bottom of the page and entering your email address, we will send you an invite. Also, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

I came across HomeEscape somewhere along the way. They seem to be an ABB alternative. I just listed my room on there to see what happens. Has anyone else used them? If yes, what has your experience been like? Any guests or inquiries?

I imagine it’s very hard for start-ups to compete with AirBnB. I hope this one takes off. I really liked their listing process much better than AirBnB. The only thing that might be off-putting to some guests is that the Security Deposit is paid up front (unlike ABB who only collects it if there’s an issue) and then refunded after the expiration period (set by you, I picked 3 days.)

I like Home escape but they are just getting started. I’ve listed with them for over a year and have not got a single booking.

also listed there but no booking

I have a channel manager so I don’t have to managed the calendar

How can it be accidental if the calendar is synch between the platforms?

I’m completely booked in May but not via Airbnb. I have three flip key bookings and one glamping hub booking, all had, or so I thought, synced calendars. Last I checked, all calendars were synced, but I went to check my Air calendar again yesterday it was completely open!!! It somehow unsynced!!! I’m not on IB and I too, keep a paper calendar but that is weird and unexplainable. I had to block them all manually, what the actual heck. I don’t know whether it was an import or export glitch that caused that. That would be a disaster if I had IB!

I wonder whatever happened to Innclusive?