Altering a reservation charges the guest the incorrect amount

Has anyone had some weird things happen with their pricing when making an adjustment to a guests booking?

We had a guest who had booked 4 nights and wanted to add an extra night, so I made the change. The rate for the extra night was $190, however it charged them $250. I’ve been on the phone to Airbnb and had correspondence through email but still can’t understand their logic.

Basically, the first thing they said is that because our cleaning fee has increased by $10 since they made their original booking, it has added the difference. Why should they have to pay the difference in the cleaning fee? To me, when they booked it, they accepted the cleaning fee at that rate.

Airbnb sent me a breakdown of the 5 days that the guest had originally booked, however one of the nights price had increased from 169 to 190. I asked them why a night they had already booked had it’s price increased, with the response being something along the lines of “you changed your default price so now they have to pay for that”- weird thought because only that night had it’s price change?!

To me, it sounds like Airbnb are trying to back charge the guest for any extra fees for nights that they had already booked?!

Does anyone else have this issue? I am going to refund them the difference (I actually picked up on it and alerted them as I didn’t want to seem like I was ripping them off) but I’m concerned that in the future, any changes to a guests reservation will require me to really study the numbers!

For anyone interested, the email correspondence is below:

Please be advised that you set-up a custom rates on the said dates before you send a pre-approval request. Here is the price breakdown:

June 1, 2016 - $169 AUD
June 2, 2016 - $169 AUD
June 3, 2016 - $177 AUD
June 4, 2016 - $169 AUD
Cleaning fee is $50 AUD

Furthermore, since you updated the rates before you alter the reservation. The new rates has been applied accordingly and here is the breakdown:

May 31, 2016 - $190 AUD
June 1, 2016 - $169 AUD
June 2, 2016 - $169 AUD
June 3, 2016 - $177 AUD
June 4, 2016 - $190 AUD
Cleaning fee is $60 AUD

Then the second email…

Moving forward, the June 3, 2016 rates from $169 AUD becomes $190 AUD is because the rates on the calendar has automatically update it with the correct amount as it was set as default.

Furthermore, I checked your log-in details and there was a price changes made on the 7th of April, 2016 and the rates was $169 AUD before April 7, and you updated it to $190 AUD on the date itself.

You can just come up with a total price for the number of nights, and do a change - you enter the number of nights, the total price, the number of guests. Should override all that other stuff.

1 Like