Almost ready to post my house, but

Wow, my bookings have really taken off! My FIRST guest stays Saturday night. I still have a lot to do but will be ready by then. I just wanted to thank everyone here who provided helpful hints and insight into what to expect.
I’ve got new beds, sheets, towels, wifi, accept dogs, offer TV and coffee.
I have accepted 5 bookings in the last week. I haven’t experienced the “day after” a stay yet, but so far I’m enjoying this, and making a little money in the mean time.
Thanks group!!

3 Likes

Congratulations Paul!! can you post a link to your listing for us to see it?

thanks! How exciting! We haventgot our 1st guest yet…

My listing is still pretty rough but here is the link.

https://abnb.me/64T4JbcbbS

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Here are my first thoughts: take out the picture with the car and license plate. I don’t know if that’s yours but I think you are making too much identifying information available. You’ve already said that you go to your desert cabin. I’m not one of the more paranoid hosts here but people being able to look up who you are, your address, your vehicle…it’s not going to help you get more bookings.

Retake the pictures with the leaves and garbage blown into the front door (#1 and 3). I probably wouldn’t click past that picture if I were looking for a place to stay.

I don’t see any kind of security cameras or Ring doorbell. If you are going to be booking in larger groups and letting them do self check in you are eventually going to get people bringing way more people than booked. That place looks perfect for a party with that yard and eventually some 21 year old is going to spot that listing. Cameras are the best way to detect any problems so you can intervene early.

It looked like the TV stand needed to be dusted but maybe that was something else. I’d retake pictures on a sunny day once everything is clean and tidy. You said it was rough so I expect you know all that. The inside of the house seems fine, it’s a great value. Nothing stunning and you may get advice about straightening blinds or tidying up here or there.

1 Like

YES! The photos are terrible. I wanted to get it listed so I took some quick snapshots. I’m a Realtor and do my own HDR photos, these all have to be replaced. I’ll be detailing the yard today and deep cleaning inside tomorrow. My first guest comes Saturday! I’ve already purchased a four camera security system, just need to find time to install.

Question: Let’s say the 21 year old decides to throw a huge party at my home and I see it on the cameras. What do I do? Can I call the Police or do I take care of it myself?

That you for your comments, you were very observant.

Call the police would not be my first choice unless it appears someone is in danger. If they are violating noise standards the neighbors will probably take care of calling the police. LOL. Seriously, first step when they violate a policy is to message them on the Airbnb app. Be clear about the consequences. It doesn’t have to be a party, it could be someone arrives with 2 dogs they didn’t tell you about in advance or a family of 12 instead of 8.

Make sure you disclose the cameras and picture them in the listing. Put your desired consequence in your House Rules. Some people want money, some people want canceled reservations. So you message the guest on the app and say “Hi Bonnie, I see you have 2 dogs. You forgot to mention them in your reservation request. They will be a $50 fee I’ll send the request now.”

Someone looks like a party is happening I’d say “Bubba as you know from reading the house rules no events or parties are permitted on the property. I see multiple guests have entered the property with ice chests. I’m calling Airbnb to cancel the reservation. You have one hour to vacate the premises.”

If you want to add additional information like “I will returning from my other property and hope I don’t have to be accompanied by the police.” Or you can say “your reservation will be cancelled and you are not entitled to any refund but if you vacate within the hour I will refund $xx.”

It’s impossible for me to know in advance what you should say in every situation but you have to be the boss. You can’t depend on Airbnb and the police to do what you cannot.

Since you are a realtor I’m sure you know more about pictures and staging than I do. You are off to a good start with bookings and 5 star reviews already. Maybe you need to raise the price. LOL.

Riverside has something like 30% international students. Many are from China. Parents visiting or helping their kids settle in are a market.

I think that region also has Chinese students who board with families and attend US high schools. Same thing with the parents.

You might read up on how to attract Chinese guests.

Some basic things:
*allow cooking, but make sure kitchen has a good extractor fan
(Necessary for high heat stir frying)

*have a rice cooker

*maybe a wok?

*Have an electric kettle

*have slippers

*Have a copy of your house rules and manual in Mandarin

I know this sounds weird, but if you are anywhere near a Costco, say so in your listing. Also outlet malls.

I’m in a university town, too.

It’s worth it to find out the dates for reunions, graduation, football games (or whatever the Big sport is there,) freshman move-in, parents’ weekends etc.

You should be able to charge more during these times.

I looked at the listing:

Kitchen photo should be earlier in the series of photos. Put the most important ones first:

Living room, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms…then the other ones.

You might include some shots of the community or local stores at the end.

Most of the photos would be better with natural light.

I think international guests would like your decor.

There’s one photo of the dining area which has a bookcase. There a lot of random stuff on the shelves. IT detracts from the photo, but I’m not sure what to put there instead.

Great ideas, I’ll look into your suggestions. I had not considered alternate languages.

Yes, thank you. All good advice that I will follow. Photos will be taken as HDRs (high dynamic range) when I get the time. Mean while, I will reshoot quick shots in natural light, once I have everything just right.

Awesome, great suggestions. I thought my price WAS high, I figured if I got any bookings, I could drop everything else and really get going on this place, and then the bookings started coming in! My place really wasn’t as nice as I wanted it to be for the 1st. few quests, but they were nice and gave me good reviews. The next guest will have a better experience :blush:

1 Like

Wow, my bookings have really taken off. Just wanted to thank everyone here for all the good advice. Vast majority of guests have been great. One group smoked pot in the house even though I stated “No Smoking” in the house rules. This is California, pot is legal, but the smell was really tough to get rid of. I was allowing guests to stay just one night, but have since required a minimum of 2 nights. I’ve also raised my Friday and Saturday rates slightly. Future bookings have definitely slowed, but I’m fine with that. It’s been too hectic. Airbnb support tells me I’ve made Super Host status but I haven’t seen it yet. Again, thanks to all that helped me get here!!

3 Likes

My suggestion (if you haven’t done so already):

Check out the dates for UCR commencement ceremonies (and parent student weekends, reunions, etc) then raise your prices and require several day stay.

https://commencement.ucr.edu/schedule.html

If your home is a no smoking one, then its irrelevant which cannabis is legal. No smoking means no smoking,. I hope you mentioned this in your review and raised a request through Airbnb for additional cleaning costs to remove the smell.

1 Like

I’m also in a college town. Definitely check the dates on things like orientation, move-in, parents’ weekend, homecoming, weekend after finals, and GRADUATION IS HUGE. Lots of people want to rent a whole house at graduation so the whole family can come and be together.

GOOD ONE! I’ll do it

Thanks