Alcoholic guest!

Also in terms of “opening a case” they can be e-mailed. So at least you have a record started right away. You email in the middle of the night and hopefully hear back by morning. (for future reference, I know it’s too late in this case.)

1 Like

You can call them 24 -7. I’ve done this when the party broke out with that party girl and the local guys they had invited to my home.

Stay on the line. I have waited as long as 45 minutes for them to answer. If you are a superho, there is a special number. Sorry you have this situation. It’s a bit of a nightmare.

Yes I am a superho lol. Phew the guest and his unsavoury bottle are gone. Airbnb supported me because I had a photo of the bottle of urine, plus a chat with the host he was drunk and aggressive to before visible on the app. Also he wouldn’t communicate with Air presumably because he was drinking. Now he’s in an hotel where he belongs. I hope this prompts him to get treatment.

3 Likes

YAY you!! Way to go!! (But the poor hotel!)

1 Like

Yes. At least a hotel has paid staff, it is not in someone’s home and if he ruins a mattress they have more finance to replace it. I am only a short bus ride from the centre, or indeed you could even do a pub crawl to a hotel lol.
Thanks for the fact I have not been on my own with this. However this thread is a sobering (excuse the pun) reminder of how honest host reviews are essential.

3 Likes

we don’t have grammar police, but we do have label police!

Maybe he was able to contain himself in the previous stays so the hosts didn’t know he was a problem.

Just curious. Do you think a hotel would have still given him entry to one of their rooms if he had presented himself at the front desk in that state? They have the right to refuse service to anyone. Drunks are not a protected class. I daresay the hotel might have had second thoughts and turned him away too. Could his reservation there be worth a ruined mattress or vomit on the carpet? Are you sure he made it to the hotel?

What will you say in the review? Be sure to leave it at the last minute if you do review.

Yes a seasoned alcoholic will often appear to hold their drink, as they are used to it. In this way for an hotel an alcoholic daily drinker would be a better bet than someone out on the lash. With Airbnb I think a lot of hosts give the benefit of the doubt or are polite and discreet. Some hosts might not be too fussy, observant or might just want the money.

3 Likes

Yes, very very true Jess. It’s easy for all of us to spout our views about what you should have done at the door. Maybe not one among us would have done differently when faced with the same circumstance. Would we have denied admittance?

At least it ended well for you and they didn’t keep your money!

Well to be honest I wasn’t sure at the door. I mean he wasn’t offensive and he had all those good reviews so I didn’t want to be prejudiced. However as it went on, as he drank more, left the door unlocked, failed to communicate etc my unease grew. The bottle of urine was the final straw.

1 Like

My EX-husband has an alcohol problem. I am sympathetic for the host being put in a difficult situation and feeling a loss of control and lack of Airbnb support. I am empathetic that the alcoholic feels he “needs” something that is damaging but I don’t have sympathy. As @konacoconutz said, they will use that sympathy to manipulate and use people.

You are lucky he didn’t pee in the bed. The first time my ex husband did it, we were staying with friends in a rental condo. I was so embarrassed. He thought it was funny. He didn’t think he had done anything wrong. I have sympathy for the condo owner.

It is easy for people to should have, could have, would have after the facts are known. In the moment people do the best they can. I think this host tried to be gracious and was swept up for a while in the hurricane of some else’s alcoholism. Kudos to surviving the hurricane and finding a way out.

2 Likes

Yes it’s shocking how alcohol affects the judgement long term, like thinking it’s funny to destroy a mattress worth hundreds or thousands of pounds, like thinking it’s in any way ok to turn up to a stranger’s home off your face, like thinking peeing in a bottle in a bedroom is reasonable. My guest tried to get sympathy and guilt trip me by saying he peed in the bottle because he is diabetic and didn’t want to disturb people in the night. BS! The loo was right next door, and I have never known a diabetic do that. He looked really sorry for himself. Well that’s another reason for him to drink isn’t it. Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink!

1 Like

Guess what. Alcohol is a cause of type 2 diabetes. Alcohol is also contraindicated if you are diabetic.

1 Like

Yes because it’s all sugar. Your guest was sad and pathetic. I hope he gets help. As I said, this is Airbnb, not AirbnRehab.

1 Like

Yes my room prices would have to go up and I would definitely need those waterproof mattress protectors! Lol

When he’s sober tell him you’re uncomfortable with his drinking because of liability issues. (If he should fall, etc. ). Tell him Airbnb can help him find another place to stay.

Dude showed up 30 minutes late reeking of booze, sneaking a bottle upstairs, and generating both angst and a smelly room.

What would the attitude be if he were a crackhead? Same disease.

It’s an illness. But diabetics and cancer patients don’t pose a potential threat to my home and person.

Still feeling guilty? If you want to do us a favor, we alcoholics need to be called out on our behaviour. That is not your job but eventually it sinks in. Or we die.

Call Air. That’s what they are there for.

Meanwhile, we will keep a seat warm for him :full_moon_with_face:

Guys, this thread is like 8 months old. I don’t even understand how people stumble across these crazy old threads.

2 Likes

The thread is old, but I do hope my asking him to leave prompted him to seek help and crack the problem.

2 Likes