Airbnb's "Lookers Into Bookers" pricing pressure email

I’m not too happy about getting this pressure to lower my prices. Competition is stronger than when it started but turning hosts against each other in a downward price spiral is not what I would call supportive. It’s not a game anyone should want to win. Or so I think.

1 Like

I get this one during months I am fully booked! Yes. I know that I am more expensive. Yes, I know that I have a 20% better occupancy rate. Get over it!

Here is an older post I made about this:

2 Likes

Ughhhh!!! So annoying!

It’s a bit like TA and their ridiculous emails.

“Lizette want to stay at your place!”

Then when you go to read it, it is just an inquiry. Usually one really far off base.

"Hi, wondering if you have a pool at the condo. "

1 Like

I get this one during months I am fully booked!

This shows Airbnb in very poor light. Especially when they talk about trust and all that stuff.

It looks as if this is another way for them to ‘gently’ coerce all hosts into lowering prices. I sometimes fear Airbnb deliberately refuses to show your listing to hosts because prices are higher than their recommendations. But I don’t have any evidence - I can’t count on the sudden drop in bookings as proof.

1 Like

They see the single night openings, and suggest a lower price. If anything, if I decide to allow a single night I would raise the price! Not lower it. Silly AirBNB.

3 Likes

If anything, if I decide to allow a single night I would raise the price!

I do that often too.
My cleaning fee makes it look higher than usual. And then I add some.

I recall those emails but didn’t pay much attention to them. Those are annoying as well. And yea, especially annoying if you are outperforming the suggestions! It makes you wonder what they might be thinking but also gives insight into how they are automating these sorts of communications.

On a related note, I occasionally get the one about being sure to update my calendar so I don’t miss bookings. I do long term stays, and both rooms are booked through the end of the year, so not looking at my calendar in July is irrelevant.

1 Like

Just delete and ignore these silly emails from Air, not worth any mental energy.

1 Like

Updating IS a good idea, even if all you do is a change up or down by a couple of bucks (quid) for you Brits. Something about doing that gets their search mechanisms humming!

Yeah, sure!
Turn “Your Place into the Bargain Hunter’s Prey”

Funny choice of words by Airbnb ‘lookers’, ‘bookers’. I can see a limerick coming! :smiling_imp:

2 Likes