AirBnBs I passed on for myself as a guest, and why

I put a link to a video in the ‘check in instructions’ section of my listing (it asks, for example, if it is smart lock etc) and there is a place for text. Sorry if it appeared to mean that airbnb had a button ‘watch entry video’ lol…

2 Likes
  1. we are on site, large farm with outbuildings.
  2. cameras.

That won’t work for you, but i have stayed in some tricky places and the host just gave excellent arrival instructions, both times they sent an email with photos. 2 of them were in Japan where the street numbering is nonsensical and of course not much is written in English, and we found our way just fine.

2 Likes

So right! Our beloved 90lb lab would never try to sit on the furniture. Our two current 50# dogs keep trying. I think the smaller they are the more then want to (and the more permitted they are).

We do ask owners to keep pets off the furniture due to scratches on leather, and out of bedrooms due allergic reactions. We don’t permit dogs under a year - I’ve seen enough damage with our own pups. Eye-opening that we shouldn’t expect guests to abide by that… I’m one of those naive hosts (or used to be).

I don’t want to say “no” to any size dogs since I appreciate finding a place that accepts them. We made an exception for a group that had an 8-month poodle because it was so well behaved and in obedience school - he chewed up our TV remote. Too bad some owners ruin it for others.

2 Likes

oh I hadn’t considered this, but yes, I currently have a 9month old puppy here and she has caused SO much damage (and i work from home and am training her, but puppies are like toddlers, all impulse and emotions). I probably won’t ban puppies but will ask the age of dogs and then warn owners that any serious damages will be an extra charge.

1 Like

I probably fit into the artistic hoarder category. My place started out too cluttered because it had been my family home and I just left a lot of stuff in it. It’s gone through 2 purges – at the behest of photographers – but some guests would still consider it too cluttered; in fact I had one of those last year. It’s an ongoing process. I keep working on it.

2 Likes

Interested in this, as I’m a person who loves b& bs/small hotels with interesting objects/art/books etc & would much rather stay in these than a boring stetile space, especially if its someone’s home rather than a hotel. Thats what’s interesting & different if you choose that.
I’ve stayed in a some places like that- pricey ones too!- & they have been a real delight- a feast for the eyes & intellect, an experience in themselves. I think one should not assume that they are simply not viable/ cleanable - except of course maybe in a pandemic, when people might touch everything & all need super disinfection techniques. Books are definitely harder, but OUT of Pandemic we accept we can go to libraries don’t we? Well I do anyway! Now of course since Covid we are sharper about hand disinfection & following hand sanitation rules etc. We also understood better about what illnesses might be passed on through different types of materials and timing between handling etc Yes cleaning these sorts of spaces requires more time/effort but actually doing it thoroughly efficiently- & reasonably swiftly is quite possible too! Also, disinfection ‘bombs’ , though an extra expense, are also great way to help ensure an extra level of disinfection too. There is always an issue of dust & dirt- especially depending on where your b & b is! and there is a bit of a difference between the two. I can sometimes see- esp in some city environments- specks of dust just a short time after something has been thoroughly cleaned & disinfected- but I would class that as 'dusty ’ as opposed to ‘dirty.’ Maybe some folks disagree. I am hoping to rent a room at some point in my home and the place will be filled with interesting objects - yep! was anthropologist too!- but careful not to have TOO much clutter !As a responsible host with lovely interesting 'objets’ I will try to ensure the place is ‘spit spot’. I think there is a market for this type of b & b. But guess I will find out soon!!!

2 Likes