Airbnb's cheery letter about getting 10 bookings in First Quarter 2022 to retain Superhost:

I lived on Vancouver Island for 25 years, up in Courtenay. That’s where my youngest daughter and all my best friends are. I love it there, I just wish it wasn’t cold and rainy so much of the year.

There’s only one season in Mexico- Construction. There’s always a pile of sand or gravel spilling out into the road somewhere you have drive around. Tires get flats a lot from all the nails, bits of wire and rebar lying about.

1 Like

That was my experience living in SE AZ. Got one flat early on, 4 new tires and repeated flats. Sometimes it was nails, other times thorns from plants next to the road. I have never had so many flats in my life. Was probably close to 6 in 3 1/2 years.

Since leaving Arizona, zero flats in 3 1/2 years.

I hear you on the weather in the NW. Made it 39 years in WA and just couldn’t do it any more. If it wasn’t for that 6 months of grey and depression, I’d still be there.

2 Likes

My cousins are all in BC, hometown on Vancouver Island.Yes, I know about Construction in Mexico. Same here in Mendocino County.

1 Like

Same here! I didn’t perceive the Superhost missive as cheery though - it made my blood boil, for the exact same reasons you have. I’ve been wondering what to do about it though.
The Omicron variant is starting to hit hard so ABBs timing is very poor. We certainly aren’t about to invite strangers into our home in the current circumstances - we do this hosting stuff to meet people and when it’s safe we’ll open up again. And that isn’t going to be anytime soon!
My feeling is to communicate with ABB and see what they say. Or just tell them to get stuffed and retire (dis)gracefully!

1 Like

Los Angeles Times: California Orders Statewide Mask Requirement Starting Wednesday Amid Rising Coronavirus Cases
Faced with rising coronavirus cases and growing concerns about the Omicron variant, California is ordering a statewide mask mandate for indoor public spaces to go into effect on Wednesday. The move comes as coronavirus case rates in California have risen by almost 50% in the last 2½ weeks, and COVID-19 hospitalizations are up by nearly 15%. County health officials across the state say they suspect they may be seeing the start of a winter jump in coronavirus cases. (Lin II, 12/13)

San Francisco Chronicle: California To Reimpose Statewide Indoor Mask Mandate As Omicron Arrives
For many parts of the Bay Area — which lifted indoor mask mandates in certain settings recently after reaching high vaccination rates and low case rates — the state’s announcement will mean a return to indoor masking in offices, gyms and other places where vaccinated people had been able to go maskless. …

2 Likes

The original memo the Superhost requirements were returning to usual April 2022 went out in August 2020. The most recent message was a reminder.

There is time for people to mount a grassroots action, perhaps posting on Airbnb Twitter & Facebook a simple message:
I am a home share host. I am concerned about losing the Superhost status I worked hard to obtain. Covid19 Delta, now Omicron with associated travel bans, restrictions, and potential guest exposure in my home has made home-sharing beyond difficult. Loss of super host status makes it worse. Please reconsider grandfathering Superhost status to January 2023.

I can armchair quarterback this all day long but I don’t have a pony in this race. I’m a separate entire home rental & by my choice/decision have moved to mostly LTR for now. I knew when I made the changes, I probably would lose superhost at some point.

1 Like

When my focus was STR year round, I did well with Airbnb. There’s been a few bumps in the road but overall good.

VRBO was a bad experience. Other hosts do well there, I did not.

2 Likes

I can’t help but think…but it’s summer in the Southern Hemisphere :wink: And some hosts do best in the winter. There was no practical way to make this feel more “fair”.

4 Likes

I used Airbnb & VRBO together for one year. Airbnb kept my calendar booked so not much opportunity for VRBO bookings, until my off season.

Snowbirds stayed for 6 weeks. I contacted them 3 times during their stay via VRBO, check-in welcome, after 3 weeks quick touch base, & a few days before checkout. Cryptic return messages, such as, “all ok here.” They left 3 stars & short review, “stay ok, uncomfortable couch, new one needed”. I never got another booking request from VRBO.

The ironies are: couch was new. It is a modern & firm. From the pictures it is clear it is not a giant pillow with feet.
The guest contacted me & asked for a direct booking for the next year. The answer was, “No”

Prior to Covid Airbnb kept me booked year round. Now it keeps my STR months booked. I’m satisfied with them.

3 Likes

I don’t suppose you explained why, did you? I would have.

I’m a new member on this Forum. It looks like there are a range of opinions re Airbnb’s proposed 2022 Superhost 10-stay policy. I submitted the feedback below to Airbnb recently and just got a “that’s our policy” response from Airbnb. While we could just drop out of Airbnb, it would be helpful if they helped us manage the risks. If you agree, you might provide Airbnb with similar feedback so they know many Superhosts are not happy about this change in the middle of a pandemic.

As a long-time Superhost, I object to Airbnb’s: (a) proposed minimum 10-stay Superhost requirement, and (b) reluctance to include host/guest vaccination status. Both policies are socially irresponsible, contributes to global COVID-related hospitalizations and deaths, and suggests that Airbnb puts revenues above the safety of their hosts/guests. First, given the continuing lack of data on the COVID-variants, it is premature to implement this 10-stay policy. In these COVID-uncertain times, Superhost status should be based on host/guest ratings, and response/cancellation rates, not arbitrary stay limits. Many hosts have had to stop host/guest shared arrangements for safety reasons and that limits stay opportunities and increases costs for those hosts without separate accommodations. Second, Airbnb not providing vaccination status robs the hosts/guests from protecting themselves/communities from non-vaccinated people who put self-interests above broader community protection.

1 Like

Thank you for sending them your clearly stated letter. I did the same, awhile back. As a home share I have been properly cautious during these past couple years, and will continue to be. Our small rural community has greatly suffered and continues to. My health and longevity are worth infinitely more than money or a badge. I am a 29 times Superhost, which stands for a lot of hard work and hospitality. I am firm in my belief that traditional homeshare hosts deserve a break here, and that this requirement is premature and ill advised.

1 Like

@Kitty_Norris
@road1953

If Airbnb suspends the $100 superhost annual coupon, superhost status costs Airbnb nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised with all going on with Omicron in February Airbnb postpones/extends the time for 10 stays for superhost designation.

If enough hosts contact Airbnb with messages like y’all, I think it could happen.

Squirrel moment. Every time I tried to type @road1953 autocorrect made it toad1953. I kinda like that name! :frog:

1 Like

Right. I just UNLISTED my listing because the number here have increased dramatically in my anti-vaxer state of Florida. My vaccinated, 21-year old son was due to get his booster when he got COVID pneumonia on Christmas Eve and ended up on IV meds for over 12 hours. I was terrified. He has an auto-immune disease as I do, so this is why a lot of us can’t take these risks, and Airbnb should be supporting their Hosts.

4 Likes

Wishing your son a speedy recovery and yes that is scary.

I haven’t had any guests in almost 3 weeks but have a couple for New Years. The guest’s quarters are separated from the part I live in, but still. They’ve told me they’ve been vaxed and boosted.

No way I would share the same space with someone now, much too risky.

1 Like

May your son recover completely.
Yes. Airbnb should be supporting hosts, particularly home share hosts.

1 Like

I’ve never had an opportunity or desire to use the coupon, would not miss it if it went away. Superhost should be extended on quality rather than quantity, after the initial quantity of 5* reviews has been met. This would show consistency and a vote of confidence. During a pandemic imho all these requirements should be waived, and safety first; at least in homeshares.

Unfortunately, you will quickly learn that Air doesn’t give a s*** what hosts (or guests) think, they always know better. That’s why I think that Air shouldn’t hire anyone who hasn’t been a host for at least a year, but they don’t care what I think either.

Most of us on here consider Air to be a booking and payment service, and nothing more. I expect their management to make decisions that benefit them and their shareholders, not hosts.

Unfortunately, since the company went public they have outsourced customer disservice so you will rarely reach anyone who knows what they are doing, much less anyone who can actually report problems and get action.

Like much corporate mediocrity, AirBnB is a faulty service with many glitches, and like most modern people, we learn to work around the glitches.

2 Likes

I would move. DeathSantis will kill you all if he can win one vote that way.

3 Likes

@NordlingHouse I just bought this home 4 months ago and have been living in South Florida for 29 years due to health reasons :cry: