AIRBnB, VRBO, HomeAway - use all 3? 2? or just one?

How do you communicate that with your guests. I really need to do that moving forward, I just don’t know how to word it properly.

Air currently collects tax in my state but they used to not do it. I used to use asteriks and bold in my listing so that guests could see it. Then I asked them to confirm they understand when making the booking request. If they didn’t note their understanding in the booking request, then I did not accept their request until they confirmed, and I would reply back with the exact amount I needed to collect.

1 Like

Sarah - this is an example of the wording I used:

*** Please note that Airbnb does not include lodging tax in their “total fees.” We are required by the state of North Carolina to collect 12% lodging tax on the total nightly rate and cleaning fee (just like a hotel would). This is collected in cash upon arrival. Please acknowledge this if you are making a reservation request. ****

1 Like

The main thing I’m worried about is that probably 90% of locations in my area aren’t collecting taxes and I’ll get skipped over. But I guess if I drop my rates $5 a night and then collect taxes in cash it would be worth it…

The reason I separated it is because I didn’t want my guests getting charged the 6-12% fee on the taxes. And I didn’t want to get charged the 3% on taxes. And it just makes bookkeeping more complicated.

If you are in a market where many rentals are very similar…all 2 bedroom condos offering the same amenties with little difference in their offerings - then I would be more concerned with price.

But if your market has all kinds of unique places and you can’t really do an apples to apples comparison…I would test it out. In the end your guest will save a few bucks by paying you in cash, rather than you building it into your rate.

Of course that doesn’t help if your neighbors are charging no tax at all. But if they aren’t collecting tax, then my guess is that they could raise their rates to what the market will bear, so guests will only see the total price anyway. I wonder if they are even doing that.

I think you mentioned your place is somewhat of a steal so I would at least test it out and not lower your rates to compensate for the taxes.

2 Likes

In the Extra Details of my listing, I say: A NOTE ABOUT TAX. I must collect Hawaii accommodation tax of 9.25% and 4.167% general excise tax. This tax is due in cash upon arrival. It’s mandatory and non negotiable. I thank you and the state of Hawaii thanks you."

When they enquire I remind them again. When I send them their guest info doc I say it again. It’s in the check in instructions. Please have this amount ready. I make up a small white envelope and tape it to the door. When I show them in, I say oh, is is for your tax. Only one Air guest, Gilian the witch, and one FlopKey guest have balked. Everyone else has forked over gladly.

I keep my license in a frame on the fridge.

With all of that, they are all but hit over the head with how I have to collect tax. :smile:

1 Like

Alright, I’ve added verbiage in several locations. So when you communicate, do you then message what the amount will be?

Yes, communicate the total.

For example the guest sends a reservation request: “Hi Sarah, my family of 4 would like to rent your beautiful place for a week blah blah blah.”

Your reply: Thank you for your inquiry blah blah blah. Also before accepting your reservation I just need to confirm you did read in my listing description that I am required by the state to collect and remit $57.75 in lodging tax (8.25% of the total nightly rate plus cleaning fee). This is due in cash upon arrival. Once confirmed I can then accept your reservation.

Thanks.

Konacoconutz and Cabinhost,
Can I steal your tax disclaimers and use them as long as I don’t do it verbatim? I haven’t been collecting taxes - but I have been paying them - and I need to fix this on my listing. It’s 15% here, 9% county and 6% state.

3 Likes

It is a common saying. Perhaps it is best to only worry about what you are making and not about what everyone else is making, because sometimes it could frustrate you. In this case ‘the next guy’ being Airbnb.

1 Like

You can mine of course.

Steal away! This is one time when plagiarism is A-OK! Hahaahhhhhhh

1 Like

yes it is convenient they do that for you. I just wish my state did not have such high tax rates (10%). Also would be awkward having to deal with guests reluctant to pay you the taxes every stay. Guess I should not complain!

1 Like