Airbnb TORONTO - Primary Residence New Rules Proposal

Hi - Just wondering if anyone knows any new information about the new Rules being proposed about Primary Residence allowed to be rented on Airbnb in TORONTO??

I believe it is just a proposal at the moment, but apparently no rules have passed as of yet.
Any idea when we could hear back about the rules being passed??

Any info from the Airbnb community would be great appreciated!

Thanks,

Sal

Information I got from Toronto Airbnb Host Facebook group is

Accommodation business license must be obtained at the city hall in order to host.
Time line for this bylaw to become effective is 2018. (Vancouver is targeting April 2018)
Business license number must be shown on Airbnb’s property description page.
All ‘Entire Place’ for rent listings will become illegal.
Hosting allowed only in the host’s primary residence.
Host must be present when guests are staying.
There will be restriction to number or rooms, guests, days when operating short term rental

Good luck

Thanks for the info. Very Helpful info.

I don’t mind most of the new rules however, that is too bad that the Host must be present when guests are staying.

I’ve been following the discussions in the news and at council, and I have not seen any talk of “Entire Place” listings being illegal or that the host must be present. My interpretation is that you could rent out your entire home and stay with friends or do it when you go on vacation. You could even book another Airbnb or do all sorts of creative things. The focus is more on “one host, one home” to crack down on people renting multiple condos or converting entire buildings into short term rentals. You may also need to prove that your listing is your principal residence, such as showing driver’s license, credit card statements, etc.

They have also not said much about restrictions on number of days per year; it was discussed as one of the options at the beginning but staff did not recommend anything to council.