Airbnb Story in Washington Post: How one couple turned a flooded basement into a cozy Airbnb retreat

I’m just referring to their license number on the listing. I don’t know what DC requires. Frankly, given some of the sh!+ I’ve seen on Airbnb, I have absolutely no concerns about this listing.

1 Like

It says it has to be in the sleeping room. It is a closet. Closets are part of a room. As my local codes that require a closet demonstrate.

But if you want to go down there and bust her ass. I’m totally game for a road trip.

My specialty is in hassling hosts who have discriminatory statements in their listings so you’ll have to guide me a bit. But I am so there for it. I have a green jumpsuit, it’ll be like the Muppet Movie.

(playfulness only please don’t be offended)

2 Likes

The code says your exit has to go directly out. A closet door does not open directly out…

FYI I have fought this fight locally and it cannot be won by your logic; exit has to be direct, no closet door, or other room. Must be direct

I believe you. I’d never even seen a basement, other than in movies before I moved to New England and I avoid going down there as much as possible. I can’t imagine why anyone would sleep down there. So, road trip, right???

3 Likes

I wonder if the exit at the top of the stairs leads directly out the door shown in the listing?

1 Like

The listing does say that they have their own entrance, ‘steep and narrow.’

Getting a business license doesn’t always involve some kind of inspection. It depends on the city/municipality and the type of business.
However, major renos would normally involve a building permit, especially with an insurance claim involved. So one would think everything had to be up to code.

But the reno part would be one thing- a building permit and inspection would just be the physical space- a finished basement- the building dept. would not know that the basement was going to be used as a sleeping place unless the owners told them.

1 Like

a stairway directly outside is one exit possibility, but there have to be two directly to surface from the room. I say illegal.