Airbnb Response to Coronavirus

What the actual ****?!

Surely I am misreading this. But if I’m not, you are insane. I’m sorry your timing sucked but I hope you have deep pockets and a reserve of savings because you are screwed.

2 Likes

ALERT! Just noticed this announcement on the AirBNB page this morning: “Tune in at 3:00 PM PT March 30th for a message from our founder about how Airbnb is supporting hosts during COVId-19”

Hi JohnF/KKC,

Maybe I mis-typed. We listed our property to sell and get out of the business after 5 years. It’s been a good run, but the next couple months look bleak, and the next couple years are also looking rough. I’m worried people aren’t just going to jump back into travel. My friends are expecting 3 days between stays for the next couple years, which means it is time for us to sell this thing while we still can.

Just worried it will be harder for us to sell when everyone lists their vacation homes in 2-4 months.

Makes sense now. Good luck with the sale, trying to sell any immovable asset during a pandemic is likely to be challenging…

JF

Oh thank goodness. I’ve never been happier to read an update. I thought maybe I misunderstood since you seemed to understand the gravity of the situation. Well, best of luck to you. I think it’s too late but do keep us updated. You are welcome here even if you aren’t hosting. Just don’t be a jerk and we are happy to have you . :wink:

You are correct, travel will not recover for a while for many reasons: financial, wariness of infection, and lack of local amenities (restaurants, clubs, & bars that add to the travel experience will be out of business).

This is similar to the financial problems in 2006-2010 due to the real estate market crash in the USA. I think travel spending will follow what occurred then.

Vacation spending dried up for many families so they would have money to pay for essentials. Those who did have the money changed their vacations to be more budget friendly. Cruises and trips to Europe were for the privileged few.

I’m a budget friendly beach stay so my rentals were great. The more posh, more expensive ocean front rentals struggled.

2 Likes

Yes, I am not worried either.
We always aimed for the lower end of the market.

The hosts that aimed for the stars by throwing money, at their guests will be struggling.

2 Likes

Is it legal for AirBnb to change the reservation policies in a way that benefits only guests? Would a judge approve this change that results in losses for hosts?

The terms of service are written in a way that they an do whatever they want and we cannot sue.

We all agreed to this when we signed up

1 Like

@RiverRock Can you please point to a document that we signed up?

It’s in the T and C when you agreed on the site… you didn’t read them?

2 Likes

The terms of service, you can find them by doing a google search for AirBnb terms of service.

1 Like