AirBnB Q1 loss doubled

2 Likes

Unless real licensed hotels start adding to their portfolio, i highly doubt they’ll make much more profit. For the simple reason, that (for example) 90% of the airbnb is getting (and partly already is) outlawed in Europe.

Yes, there are listings in Europe. But the thing is…if most (if not all, soon enough) will be outlawed, then that means the places in advertizings are going to go away sooner than later.

For me, i am one of the very few running the biz legally: i own outright. (sublets are outlawed, cs they are a hazard for building insurances, and outlawed by gov.)
Not only that, i also make 100% sure that sublets are impossible in my places, which again means i can continue running the biz, within the law.

I always hated the fact that so many people were subletting their places (Even if it’s not permitted) because they were creating competition, without having put in the same investment as i have. And they also filled up properties with double the people, because “they didn’t care about overcrowd regulations” either.
That whole group, sort of pirates, will die out. Now that laws are being enforced in more and more cities.

Speaking as “somebody in Europe” (yes, we do have AirBnB here, along with electricity and hot and cold running water - but no AC) - AirBnB has problems in some major cities - Amsterdam, Barcelona, London and a couple of others - but everywhere else it seems to be doing fine. The claim that “90% of the AirBnB is getting outlawed in Europe” is simply nonsense.

11 Likes

I should have said " it is getting -effectively- outlawed " in the top large cities of Western Europe.
That would be pretty accurate. :slight_smile:
Unless, all those homes suddenly get themselves a Hotel License which seems a way to getting around the “outlawing”. I don;t know if you are familiar with Western europe, but STR permits aren’t exactly handed out easily, if not to say rather impossibly (at least from 2018 onwards)

Yes, but contrary to the US, in Europe AirBnB does not add anything.

STR platforms and very well organized destination platforms already existed long before AirBnB.

In Europe AirBnB owes it success to the legal loopholes and how it facilitates tax avoidance.

Now slowly all these advantages are being taken away, so hosts are either returning to LTR, spreading to other platforms or focusing on direkt bookings.

I can see why a small hotel owner with an established business would feel this way and you’ve previously gone so far as to say Airbnb ruined things.

However, from a guest perspective it does add many thousands of accommodations on a single platform. I could have found those accommodations, and sometimes did, but it took a lot of time. I haven’t been in Europe since 2009 and I hadn’t heard of the embryonic Airnbnb yet. I found an apartment in Krakow and a locally owned hotel in Berlin in a determined effort to avoid the American chains that proliferate everywhere in the West. (Hotel Berlin Markischer Hof am Tacheles, btw only has 3 stars on trip adviser and I probably wouldn’t pick it now with those reviews. But I loved it and the price and the neighborhood. There’s the tyranny of reviews for you.)

If I ever go to Europe again I’ll be starting my search for places to stay on Airbnb, and I’ll probably look first at their Experiences for any tour or activity too. I recently went on a juke joint tour in Harlem (NYC) and found it first on Airbnb even though they are a well established tour company. Why are they listing on Airbnb if they already have an established business. Because Airbnb is a market leader.

1 Like