Airbnb.org / Afghan hosting may be mostly marketing

Indeed the CDC is US based. As is Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J. I was only sharing the info, which seems to be the same as posted by the manufacturers.
If some countries and patients decide that they know better, that is up to them.

Thank you for your condescension. There are scientists in Canada too.

Hereā€™s a pretty good history of how our country dealt with the delays. Yes itā€™s Wikipedia but itā€™s a good summary and you can check the sources if you care to: COVID-19 vaccination in Canada - Wikipedia

3 Likes

You are reading things that are not there.

Just like I didnā€™t take any insult when you pointed out that cdc is us based. Since i live here i am aware. Just facts. No arguments.

1 Like

That may be true. Are you curious to know why some countries do not follow the CDC guidelines? Or not really.

Nope. I honestly do not care what government X decides about 2nd shot timing. Not a bit. It doesnā€™t interest me.
Itā€™s not ā€œmy dataā€. I was only sharing it. Iā€™m not a scientist, virologist or medical professional.
Moving on now

2 Likes

We didnā€™t sign up because our 2-bedroom apartments are occupied until at least April/May right now. Our studio is open but cannot have long term stays in it because it doesnā€™t have a full kitchen (per local regulations).

However, our state made a big splash about getting our first bunch of Afghan refugees and they arrived the first/second week of November. I know that your state took a lot of refugees so it may just be that they havenā€™t been sorted out yet. It seems to be taking a long time. You may yet get someone.

Yeah who knows. A LOT of refugees fly INTO our local airports. It seems this is a small part in the middle of their journey before they actually get placed anywhere at all.
It might be many months between ā€œflying into PHL, EWR, JFKā€ and some kind of ā€œfinal placementā€ in some community with housing and employment. I would like to know more, but didnā€™t see anything really definitive.

Just saw a Tweet from Oregon where 3 Afghan men staying at a B&B saw tweeter raking leaves and using phone app asked if they could help. Had the whole neighborhood clean in an hour and made a bunch of new friends.

This was not an Air publicity post, just an observation from someone who follows someone I follow.

4 Likes

We donā€™t all live in the US @Jefferson

I have been working on our Covid programme in the UK since it opened in March last year so donā€™t need to rely on what your health agency says. I have up to date knowledge on how our programme works here.

Why would other countries follow your guidelines. We have our own :slight_smile:

My point exactly. Each country has their own set of challenges around vaccine distribution and has had to make difficult choices about things like the timing of first, second and booster doses and mixing doses. It doesnā€™t really matter what the manufacturer recommends about timing if the vaccine isnā€™t available.

Really? More? One would have expected that you might have read the previous, ā€œI was merely sharing informationā€?
Thank you for the comments. It is always such a pleasure to receive them and they are particularly informative. We feel very in the loop on things in the UK now.

How Interesting! It is surprising you might confuse 2nd shot and booster timing. Perhaps they have you working too hard :wink:

Oh and for the record, Iā€™m just sharing the info, this time for your country! Perhaps now you might let it go, and weā€™ll ignore the mix-up of 8 weeks and 6 months.

My 90 year old stepmom in the UK had her first Pfizer last Dec. and wasnā€™t called for her second until the end of April.
Online information isnā€™t a substitute for what is actually happening on the ground.

Product availability may not line up with official recommendations. That does not change the recommended timing, right?
We got ā€œboostedā€ 3 days ago! Woo-hoo!

Hi there. Iā€™m a reporter at the financial news website MarketWatch. Iā€™m working on a story about Airbnbā€™s efforts to house refugees. Iā€™d like to speak to hosts about their thoughts on the program. Iā€™m interested in writing about it because I havenā€™t seen too much coverage of how the program actually works in practice. If youā€™d like to get in touch, Iā€™m at lalbrecht [at] marketwatch [dot] com. Thanks, Leslie