Airbnb Mystery Shopper Perhaps?

Her job is not your problem. Review factually and unemotionally.

Most of this sounds like a perfectly ordinary Airbnb stay and it seems that the fact that they work for Airbnb has caused you to behave differently than normal. Perhaps that’s just due to you writing about it here. You say they are demanding? More so than normal guests? If they leave the room clean and aren’t breaking other rules then the only issue is the use of the additional bathroom?

6 Likes

I would be surprised if they work in marketing for Airbnb :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get staff from USA coming to London or Euro office’s all the time - staff get free travel so use Airbnb - obviously free place to stay while work travel or travelling - take it as an opportunity to ask questions and enjoy the interaction - often very informative -

1 Like

I’m not too sure what you are implying here, and I certainly didn’t behave any differently that I would with other guests, including any who break my house rules.

Perhaps you missed my point; in order to make use of the extra bathroom, part of a separate listing she knew about, she had to go looking for it. This made us feel really uncomfortable when we found them using the bathroom in the morning.

House rules state “We live here too so lease respect our privacy and that of any fellow guests staying by not wandering into our/their space”.

1 Like

Well, hopefully another time! Being told they were here to evaluate us kind of put the kibosh on that interaction, with one telling the other “you’re not supposed to say that”.

hmm - I did get my first guests back in feb 2010 that were a couple - they never said but i am sure they were Airbnb - and i do get staff regularly staying - i don’t think they are checking up unless you are a new host -

I think her job will be safe. It’s not necessarily part of her job to be a model guest, just to review (I imagine). In fact, not being a model guest might get a more thorough review, as it ‘pushed’ you a bit!

I wasn’t implying, I was stating directly that your belief that they work for Airbnb may have influenced your behavior towards them. Being a former psych nurse I’m sure you know the mechanism at play. I’m not criticizing, it would be perfectly normal to be affected in that way.

Then I asked what you meant by being demanding. Do you mean the demand that the extra bathroom be available for use or was there something else?

I understand that you have the rule about the extra bathroom and I completely understand why you don’t want anyone using it. I just don’t see anything exceptional about these guests based on your posts. I completely understand when you have a rule you want it followed. It’s like my rule about parking (if you’ve seen those posts). It drives me nuts that such a simple rule is so often violated and it would be more irritating if I thought an airbnb employee couldn’t follow the rules.

I’m going to be sending you a PM also.

I would definitely give them a nicely worded but not good review. Airbnb now has a feature where you can ask the traveling companions to identify as additional guests. Low stars on communications and house rules. I seriously doubt Airbnb would want their employees being bad guests. I would definitely say that you didn’t know how many people were coming. That is not acceptable. My experience with young women guests is an extreme level of entitlement. There are exceptions, but I don’t really want them any more.

Thanks for the PM; really helpful! I forgot to clarify the demanding bit; running to keep up as usual. By demanding, I had a shed load of texts with queries before they arrived over a two day period, most of which could be answered by reading our listing properly or googling; I was even asked to send a train timetable and to detail a good walk on the White Cliffs for them! I began feeling like the TIO, but all this before I’d read her profile stating she works for ABB. Then we had more messages about early/late check-in and out, which we couldn’t do (and won’t usually) but I fell over backwards arranging for their bags to be left next door in the pub, whilst at the theatre! This wasn’t good enough, couldn’t the neighbours check them in? They are the neighbours, working… I could go on but enough, except to say 20 messages in total, including three after she left, seeking forgiveness and a good review.

What was interesting though was the difference in cultures. The two French girls were immediately apologetic for the mistake, offering to pay a fee for the extra cleaning (even though one hadn’t been responsible), whilst the French Canadian girl was sulky and hostile.

Time to let it go now. Thanks for the in-put and support.

But wait! What about the reviews? Please update us when they post.

Your listing sounds a lot like mine. I have one listing but it can be expanded to include another master bedroom and bath. One thing I did to prevent people using the second bath, which as you know can take quite a while to clean, is to have a lock installed on the master bedroom door. That solved the problem. Just a thought for you to consider.

1 Like

Joan… I’m just angry. Angry that these entitled little brats pushed you and pushed you for extra treatment, presumably backed by the threat they worked for the Most Impressive Company in the World!

As if!!!

Who acts like this??? I would be LIVID in your shoes. You really need to leave them a crap review. Please let us help you with it.

Their behavior was very disconcerting. They should KNOW BETTER dammit!

2 Likes

HI @Joan

I’m sorry you had these self entitled XXX staying with you.

I still don’t believe they work for Airbnb or if they do Airbnb should sack their Head of Marketing.

Why would you worry about the impact on the job of the young woman concerned. This is her concern not yours.

Please review them as you would any other guest. In fact I would be harsher - if they really work for Airbnb they should have a much better understanding than most. Empahsise

1. Poor communications including asking for information outlined in your listing, asking to be sent train timetables easily available from train companies etc
  2. Pressurising you for early check in/late check out to the extent that they actually asked if your neighbours could check them in
  3. Using an off limits bathroom, which was part of another listing after being told explicitly that it wasn’t available for them

No way should you provide them with a good review

1 Like