Airbnb minimizes and obscures your bespoke property rules

I am super frustrated with Airbnb today. As has been discussed on other threads, Air has redesigned our listings and moved the Rules to the bottom. Oh, and they are not called Rules anymore; they are Policies. Okay, whatev. I get why you would do that. However, our own bespoke rules don’t show unless the potential guest clicks on READ MORE RULES. … Uh huh. Riiiiiight.

As frustrating as this all was, I took solace in the fact that before the potential guest actually booked they were forced to acknowledge that they had read ALL the Rules, or Policies, or whatever they want to call them. Well, that’s gone. They still - even in this final step - only show what I call the “checkbox” rules - the most general of rules - and the user still has to click on READ MORE (they took out the word RULES here) and this is the kicker: the heading is called THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND. Keep in mind? What the hell?

As a work around I am using SmartBNB to send of an immediate, automated email upon booking, outlining all the rules in detail. And I say “This is an automated message in order to ensure you are aware of all the policies regarding Green Cottage. Airbnb obscures these rules by making the guest click on READ MORE. In case you did not, here is the complete list of policies:…”

So if you’ve had an uptick in guests not following - or being aware of - the rules, this is why.

There are some days I really don’t like Airbnb and this is one of them.

3 Likes

Thanks to @KKC for the simulated booking and the screenshot!

4 Likes

Wow. This is so annoying!

There are as many different types of listings as there are people. Airbnb is doing such a disservice to both hosts and guests in not allowing us to lay out what’s important in our unique places.

I’m going to do a similar thing in my confirmation e-mail.

How do you like SmartBNB?

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the screen shot & idea/option for notifying future guest of the rules. At one time, Airbnb indicated they were asking for host feedback before implementing changes. I wonder if they still are? I’m guessing not.

What I specifically don’t understand about this approach is that I bet it greatly increases the potential for conflict and misunderstanding between host and guests which I assume results in an unsatisfactory transaction which means more of a burden on Airbnb for moderation and customer support.

I like SmartBnb. The founder is a long time member here and usually has great insight into airbnb’s backend. Right, @smartbnb.io? We haven’t heard from you in a while,so you must be busy. Thanks again for this rule. This is my first automated email and I think it may make a huge difference.

1 Like

It really is a shortsighted policy.

I get it…they probably get more bookings when a guest only has to consider the pretty pictures and not whether they can abide by the host’s rules. Especially for homeshare hosts, rules are the only way we can communicate our boundaries.

Host has to deliver on the promise of the listing description
Guest has to pay & deliver on following house rules
If both of those things happen it’s hard to have a bad stay. By hiding the rules they’re really not allowing the guest to hold up their end of the bargain.

Judging by the number of App updates I get with Airbnb, they are making it up as they go. It’s still new ground for the hospitality industry. I noticed some time ago that my house rules were partially obscured in a scrolling box on the web page and it took a very deliberate move on the reader’s part to see them. Sigh…

I include my house rules in my check in message and they are in a framed notice in each bedroom as well as in the House Manual. The WiFi password is there too, so there is incentive to look. There can be no claims of ignorance!

Even if they read them, it is no guarantee of compliance. The problem guests are the ones who feel entitled and the rules don’t apply to them. Sigh…

1 Like

In my welcome message to a booking request, I ask them to acknowledge they have read and are cool with all the house rules. Here’s how I put it.

“Before I accept your booking, could you just confirm that you’ve read the complete house rules? Airbnb shows the “reader’s digest condensed” version and you have to click on them to see the “unabridged” version. I’ve had some reservation requests where the potential guests didn’t read the complete rules, and cancelled the reservation request once they did, so now I ask everyone if they have read and agree with them before accepting the booking. Once I know you’ve seen the complete rules and are cool with them, I’ll be happy to accept your reservation. “

If they book through IB, I change the wording slightly but the gist of the message is the same.

2 Likes