Airbnb is inserting inaccurate comments about location below map on listing

There are a lot of glitches on AirBNB of late, so I’d suggest that you not be so concerned about it, especially when you’ve done a nice job literally spelling it out in your listing photos with a map detailing the walk time to much of what you describe.

Unfortunately It is currently missing a distance to the Ballet! :wink:

4 Likes

:smile: :grin: :laughing:

This is how you solve problems and fix glitches?

Because – in response to this situation – we wouldn’t want to make Airbnb more accurate? That’s your solution?

1 Like

I am on a national and international bike route, my score:

Somewhat Bikeable

Minimal bike infrastructure.

1 Like

Gosh I wonder what people do when they’re trying to sell their house and Zillow automates a listing and includes not just WalkScores but school scores as well. How can anyone sell a house that has a F school rating?

People book Airbnb’s for all kinds of reasons and I can think of lots of reasons why suburban listings like yours do well. Being able to walk to six whole restaurants, including a Starbucks, feels exactly like the kind of place where I’d like to have a car or a bike at least to GTFO of the suburbs.

3 Likes

This must be a US centric thing - not showing on my UK listing.

Mine would say within a 5-10 minute walk from my house you can access one railway station, four buses, a motorway, huge park leading to woods and river, leisure centre with pool, over 30 restaurants and cafe’s including Scandanavian, Brazilian, Eritrean, Caribbean and Indian, a yoga and dance studio, a 13 mile railway path to Bath for walking and cycling, a nature reserve, a music and arts centre and a theatre. A shopping centre with a 24 hour supermarket and an IKEA. And a high street which was named by The Guardian as one of the best in the UK :grin::smiley::laughing:

1 Like

Most of our guests cook 90% of their own meals – and they often ask before booking if there are markets within walking distance. They do not need a bike or car to GTFO the suburbs because “the suburbs” is exactly where they want to be.
Most of our guests are families who live in towers in large Asian cities, and typically stay for weeks. They tell us that a quiet suburb with lawn and massive flower gardens just outside their window is like living in a park. Guests looking for the pleasures of downtown living don’t book with us, but the people who do book with us want to be able to walk to the store…

2 Likes

[Helsi)
This must be a US centric thing - not showing on my UK list

I think it is an American service that pretends to offer useful information about Canada

1 Like

There is no fixing glitches, AirBnb goes from glitch to glitch and if you want to make it a problem for yourself go ahead. You will not get anywhere with them because they are disorganized and do not care. They literally DO NOT CARE how the walk score affects you. You can complain until you turn blue and it will do no good. Until the day they remove it for everyone (unlikely) it will be on your listing. So your options are to let it go or walk away from Air.

RR

4 Likes

Well, I’ve got a walk score of 69, and a “limited” transit score of 28. In an isolated community of 33,000, buses run along the main roads every half hour 6am to midnight. Limited bike paths paralleling the one main highway along the seashore, and along suburban main roads. Side streets here don’t need bike paths.

But they got distance to supermarket & some nearby restaurants right. The one featured restaurant, however, hasn’t been a bagel bakery for five years.

At least it won’t be a detriment to my listing, and about a third of my guests don’t have cars, or only rent one for a single day during their stay.

And do not really understand the hospitality business

They bring bookings, that is all I care about. I cannot change the way they do business. I am always working on bringing bookings to my direct site and other platforms, Air has been know to disappear listings on a whim. THe best we can do is diversify, do not have all our eggs in one basket.

RR

4 Likes

Nor mine, I just put our postcode in. That said, now I know we’ve got a super dooper score I’m wondering how I can leverage this in our marketing.

First time visitors are always surprised with how Spanish our neck of the woods is. It’s not untouched by tourism, but we get a different type of tourist down here compared to the Costa del Sol, or the Costa Brava etc. Folks come here to chill, not get wasted on cheap alcohol and party till dawn.

It’s all a bit laid back, no-one trying to entice you into restaurants and no raucous “bar streets”. The people are very different also, polite and conservative (with a big and a small “c”) is a decent description.

The one consistent complaint we get from guests is that they wished they’d booked for longer. Many are touring Andalucia and have their nights all mapped out and booked in advance, but once they get started they realise that places like Granada, Ronda and Sevilla are torture, scorching hot and rammed with tourists. Then they arrive here, to an apartment with a lovely internal patio where they can chill out with a glass of Fino and relax. End of advert :grinning:

It suits us, we’ve got good neighbours and everything we need is on our doorstep.

Ha ha, put it down to small screen and tired eyes, I read it initially as “compacted prescription”, as in for compacted bowels, and failed to reread when replying!

JF

5 Likes

Which is why your walk score is accurate, you’re in the suburbs and most errands require a car. I agree there are lots of reasons why people look for suburban stays, but being able to walk to 2 markets doesn’t mean you live in a walkers paradise. You’re already listing out what’s walkable in your listing and responding to questions. It’s a 2 sided marketplace and Airbnb makes the rules. There are definitely channels to file feedback and complaints. Doesn’t seem like the right hill to die on though, you can literally just name your listing “Walkable to 2 Markets & Starbucks” if it’s so important.

1 Like

I agree. You should blow up their social media and maybe the Community forums as well. Maybe you can get some traction on them offering an “opt out”.

Yep! If you have grocery stores, liquor stores, restaurants, barbers, yoga, etc. that close by, the “most errands require a car” statement would put me off as a guest, and and enrage me as a host.

I’m in U.S and I don’t have it yet thank god.

3 Likes

Oh no, Airbnb is going the Booking.com way with inaccurate and sometimes stupid auto-generated comments. I hate it.

Really hope their little experiment fails and they will remove those idiot scores.

As a guest, when I travel to a place I look on the internet if there is a public transport system, stores etc… I don’t need a « walkable score » and would not trust it as there are to many degrees of freedom in this information to be represented with a single number.

1 Like

With BDC it’s easy to have their auto generated distances etc amended. I’ve done it with both of our places and it was a pretty straightforward process. Descriptions were changed within a day or two.

That said, the main text can now only be changed for typo’s, previously you could make additions to that also.

JF

1 Like

Ah, it looks as though the OP has finally realised that there are better uses of his time and more important things to think about that a walkability score. Mine is 20-something yet it’s perfectly possible to live here without a car.

In my reviews I have “you need a car to get around here” and “you don’t need a car here and you can walk to the beach, the farmers market, the restaurants, the grocery store…”

So, who is right and who is wrong?

I recently read where Elon Musk doesn’t consider Tesla a car company, but rather a technology company; that software and engineering developments could be sold to the likes of GM, Volkswagen, etc.

Similarly Chesky views AirBNB, less of a hospitality company and more of technology platform for the hotel industry.

If anyone thinks glitches and technology companies aren’t synonymous, you have never owned a Tesla.

“People tend to get one thing wrong about Airbnb. They commonly describe it as a hospitality company, while the people who run the company insist it is actually a technology company.” - from attached aticle.

3 Likes