Airbnb is inserting inaccurate comments about location below map on listing

I’ve always said that NYC is more fun and better to visit than it is to live there. And Los Angeles is the opposite - it’s better to live there than it is to visit.

NYC was a bit like a passionate but unhealthy relationship living there. Very love-hate. Highs and lows. I live close enough now that I can take the train in for the day and that’s the best.
(Well, not (covid) now, now. The NYers are escaping to my place away from there now. ,)

3 Likes

No – I do not "need to get past this “most errands” thing. This is important to our guests, and Airbnb is misleading them by putting that misleading statement on my listing. Do you even have an Airbnb listing? I only ask because you seem to be looking at this issue from the perspective of Walkscore and its internal logic, and not from the perspective of a host whose location is being mischaracterized and whose listing is being undercut.

1 Like

Many cities evoke those feelings. We both lived and worked in Istanbul for many years and the love/hate ometer could swing in either direction within an afternoon, and frequently did!

JF

2 Likes

One of my coworkers lives about an hour from the city by train. Pre-covid, she would commute in a couple days a week but otherwise lives in the “country” and has Friday night date nights at a local farm coop/restaurant. That, to me, sounds lovely. Quiet and green to live but all the vibrancy of the city near enough to visit.

I’m remembering why I have always said I need to take my tween-daughter to NYC, she would love it!!

1 Like

Ah, my boss did the same. He left the city in March and hasn’t been back. They are safer where they are but missing their NYC home.

1 Like

Fella, you need to chill. This isn’t Airbnb so wind the aggression back a notch.

JF

4 Likes

A ballet studio is an “errand” if you are dropping off lunch your dancer roommate forgot in the kitchen – otherwise going to a ballet performance is an “excursion” or an “experience.”

I was a reporter for many years, and I cannot think of one editor who would have allowed me to describe attending the ballet as an “errand.” You are playing word games the way a lawyer or public relations flack would do, and ignoring the meaning that “most errands require a car” would send to most guests. Why are you being deliberately obtuse?

1 Like

Oh the irony, from a self confessed journalist :joy:

JF

3 Likes

I have 3! And they have a WalkScore of 69. And that seems about right to me when comparing it to a place that has a WalkScore of 100.

What exactly can I get to when walking 5 minutes from your house?

Can I do pilates? Can I get waxed? Can I fill my dog’s compounded prescription? Can I have my wedding dress expertly altered to fit my god-daughter? Can I go to a concert? Can I eat Chinese-Cuban fusion? Can I shop for tile?

Really, you don’t need to worry about it. There are special reasons to come to your locale. No one is coming there to walk to everything. I’m sorry it’s irritating you.

2 Likes

One more time. With feeling!

The WalkScore includes many factors that are not errands!

You made up, in your head, that it only has to do with errands. You are what is incorrect.

2 Likes

On the basis that this prob means the same in UK English, I’m calling you out for TMI :poop:

And on that note, I’m off to bed.

Timezones… :wink:

JF

2 Likes

I really hope to come stay at your listing sometime. I haven’t been to that part of Spain but have always wanted to go. It’s hard to tell when it will be reasonable to get on an airplane, but I’m there when it’s safe again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about, so it’s probably not the same?

1 Like

Pilates – not an “errand” but yes
Waxed – yes
compound pharmacy – yes, but we have a no-pet rule
experienced seamstress -=- yes
concert – not an errand and no
Chinese-Cuban fusion – not an errand but maybe (don’t know detailed menu) Korean and Japanese as well
This is a red herring. What Airbnb guest needs to do errands to buy construction materials on vacation

1 Like

I am not nearly as concerned about the score ans I am about the message in English on my listing that most errands require a car. If they just put the numbers up I wouldn’t care, but that sentence is untrue, and – in its untruth – makes my listing less attractive.
I do not care a whit about their scoring system – but if that system leads Airbnb to publish words that lie about what it is like to stay here, then I object.

2 Likes

The ONLY verbal message about walking is that “most errands require a car.” As you can see below, that untrue statement has been added to our listing by Airbnb
If they were a bit smarter, they would publish a “city living index” that captured all of the amenities you are talking about. Our guests KNOW they are booking in the suburbs, but they write and ask if grocery stores, playgrounds, pharmacies, Starbucks, liquor stores and restaurants are nearby. Nobody has ever written to ask if there is a performance hall nearby – because people who want that know enough to book downtown.

2 Likes

Ok. Just step away from the WalkScore. It’s incidental for you. Ignore it. :grin:

You have no idea why MY guests choose THIS location. In fact, walking-distance proximity to amenities needed for EVERYDAY errands (groceries, medicines, dry-clean/seamstress, wine, a meal out etc) is quite important to many of our guests. They do not want to need to rent a car, and they do not want the hassle of grocery shopping by taxi or bus.
There ARE special reasons to come here – including a 400-acre Westcoast rainforest park with miles of groomed trails five minutes away -=- but many of our guests also want to be able to walk to the store, and this stupid, misleading, uninvited comment inserted by Airbnb tells them they can’t, and that is not true.

2 Likes

You have no idea what is incidental to my guests and what is a deal-breaker when they are trying to short-list potential destinations. No idea.

You can opt out. Just stop using AirBnb. Problem solved.

YW

RR

4 Likes