I’m curious how many people have experienced hosting a fellow Airbnb host that turns out to be a very bad Airbnb guest? I recently had to end a 5 day reservation on the 3rd day and kick out my guest, a fellow Airbnb host, for repeated and purposeful violations of my house rules - bringing over multiple undisclosed guests, multiple times. This is the 2nd time in my 6 years of hosting that I’ve had to kick a guest out, and in both cases, the guests were fellow Airbnb hosts. There really isn’t much room for a misunderstanding of my house rules - here is what they state:
- Do not disturb the neighbors. Do not make loud noise and annoy them.
- No parties allowed, no loud noise, or music inside after 10pm.
- Throw away all trash in the dumpsters located behind the building. Do not leave trash outside the door or in the common areas.
- Self wash all dishes when used.
- Do not open the windows and run the AC at the same time. Do not leave any window open while the apartment is vacant.
- Non approved late check outs will be accessed a $75 fee per fraction of each hour.
- Prearranged approved late check out can be made for $25. Inquire before your last day to arrange with the maid if possible.
- No additional undisclosed guests, visitors, or friends are allowed over to the apartment during your stay - this includes both overnight guests or even just friends/ family/ people staying in nearby hotels stopping by to hang out or visit you during the day. ONLY paid and disclosed guests on the reservation are allowed in the apartment at anytime.
- Unreported guests will result in a $50 fee per day, per unreported guest.
- No smoking, of any thing. Smoking inside will result in a $200 additional cleaning fee.
- Do not hide, conceal, or fail to report any damage you may accidentally cause. The maid makes a full inspection after each check out.
After noticing the first violation on day 2, I simply message the guest and politely reminded them of the house rules and their obligation to respect them. The guest responded 12 hours later denying any violation and asking me why I was messaging them. The morning of the 3rd day, I again noticed they violated the rules now a 2nd time, incredibly after I already warned them and she denied breaking the rules. I contacted Airbnb to involve them and decided I would wait to discuss the matter with the guest to determine how to handle the situation. We discussed the issue on the phone around lunch time and she was defiant, argumentative, unapologetic, and even went so far as to cite her also being an Airbnb host as the reason she felt my rules were too strict. She never once accepted responsibility & only after I told her frankly that the only solution at this point was for her to either follow the rules or end the reservation and leave immediately, only then did she curtly respond: it won’t be an issue again. Given her attitude and tone on the phone, I should have known better and ended the reservation immediately.
As I was suspecting by her tone on the phone, her promise was broken again 4 hours later when, now for the 3rd time, she brought another undisclosed male over to the apartment who departed 30 mins later. I messaged her and informed her the reservation was ending immediately and to leave the apartment. When I returned from work that evening, after the guest had departed, the entire apartment smelled like weed & left left the windows wide open with the AC turned on full blast.