AirBnB Host Calculator - How accurate is it?

Hello,

Thinking of hosting soon. I noticed ABB has a Host Calculator that tells you how much you can make a month depending on how many guest and type of place.

Its telling me that in my location I can make $2,351/month. How accurate is this?

Thank you.

You wouldn’t want to trust any figure Airbnb produces as accurate.

To save yourself disappointment, aim for 60% of what it says you can make.

7 Likes

Also, if you have not done so already, familiarize yourself with all the things that can go wrong.

1 Like

Thanks both.

One reason to do it is for the additional money that I really don’t need. Thankfully I have a an income besides this and if things dont turn out to be what I expected then I can cancel it.

And if I can get 60%, I think is doable. Thank you!

2 Likes

Same here. And I made an investment almost two years ago of $15000 in upgrading my space and I’ve nearly made of it back. But still I know it could all end tomorrow.

2 Likes

Aw, nice to know Im not the only one, My basement have been furnished/done with everything to be used as a rental unit and since we are never downstairs giving it the proper use I figured that, whats better than get money for the unused space :slight_smile: just a few things that I need to add for it like a camera outside, locks and wireless. and get the sheets and towels for me to start.

Thanks again!

Do take into account the implications of tax when you sell your home that’s now an Investment property; tax on Airbnb income; disruptions to life and privacy; work involved in managing guests and listing etc etc etc. Its a lot more complicated than just getting easy :moneybag: for unused space and buying a few towels.

1 Like

If it’s your primary resident it is not an Investment Property, ABB is no different , from a tax standpoint, then taking on a roommate

That may be the case in your jurisdiction but not mine. Irrespective of the property bring your primary residence any proportion being used to obtain income from a roommate or ABB means that proportion is considered an investment property under tax law and will be subject to all relevant taxes, including capital gains tax on sale.

I always say people should seek professional advice from a qualified tax agent or lawyer and my intention was for the OP to consider this.

1 Like