Airbnb High-Handed tactics - lost my Super Host status

I actually love Airbnb, I just felt that this experience could be a potential ‘thin edge of the wedge’ - the temptation for Airbnb to start dictating and controlling now that it can - Orwellian tendencies - I know I am over dramatizing now but really, isn’t this where it starts, at least potentially? Perhaps I have been too ‘ranty’ and I apologize for that - I’ve had a frustrating litany of experiences with VRBO and Airbnb. I was actually motivated not by the desire to rant and tear down but by the impulse to keep Airbnb honest. VRBO isn’t as heavy handed, its not as cool and popular perhaps either. It’s having major problems servicing hosts but it’s not heavy-handed.

I think that the policies of AirBNB is a different discussion. There is no question that in the last year, AirBNB has done a bit of pivoting. They define our relationship with our guests in meaningful ways [and are more guest centric than they once were] and it is up to each host to determine if they can live with their rules. I highly recommend that you pour yourself the beverage of your choice and read all of the TOS documents so you know the rules better than they do.

2 Likes

Are there any booking systems that do not penalise hosts who cancel?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

Here for example, it explains quite clearly conditions under which you can cancel when on Instant Book

OP did you try actually calling Airbnb via the Superhost phone number to discuss your issue with a human being? I have had to cancel on guests a couple of times and when I spoke to a rep they allowed it without penalty. It’s worth a shot.

Please note that the policy has changed again!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reservation

The relevant section is "You can cancel instant bookings penalty-free an unlimited number of times if you’re uncomfortable with a reservation or if a guest breaks one of your House Rules. "

3 Likes

Yes. except you can’t. When I tried to cancel on the smokers it was a no go. And further down in that link they talk about abusin the policy if you cancel too many times. :roll_eyes:

Seriously I do wish Airbnb would just play by their own rules.

3 Likes

I understand… just posting that the policy has gone from 3 penalty-free to unlimited. It is clear, based on anecdotal stories, that you can’t cancel easily if the guest is already checked-in. But, before they arrive, you have a chance. Example might be, guests mentions that they are bringing a child in a message three days before arrival. Then you have a chance to cancel.

2 Likes

Yes agreed! 20202020

if guests book within seconds of each other then how can I block a calendar in time?
Luckily, Airbnb backed down on this and made good

If you’re on multiple platforms, you shouldn’t enable Instant Book.

No they are just protecting guests from hosts who are disorganized. A super host should keep calendars synced. They should know rules.

1 Like

New hosts are super organized and have it all together, right?

New hosts who follow the Airbnb prompts to pick instant booking because then they can cancel penalty-free. Only that’s not true. Oops ready the find print stupid.

I read the rules, I find it hard to sympathize with people who whine when consequences hit them and say it’s not their fault, when it clearly was.
People book with superhosts in the belief they are getting a higher level of service. Obviously, not universal.

@debflak

I feel for you that you lost your superhost status, regardless of how it happened.

If I’m interpreting your postings correctly, a mistake occurred due to accidental double bookings, mark it up to a learning experience and just being human (being human bites me regularly). To me, acceptable cancelations are like walking on shifting sand because this week’s rules may not be the same as next week’s.

I am a superhost but like others in this forum I’m not sure of its value. In my area there is a realtor “superhost” with multiple listings and his realty office lists the properties on its website. He presents a profile & picture as an owner and he is not. I’ve reported my concern to Airbnb. His listings disappear for a while then come back. A management company using the site & indicating they are not the owner is appropriate however, my concern is he is presents as an owner and is a superhost which devalues the superhost status.

@anon67190644. I think the hesitation to book with a host with previous
cancelations is common. A friend booked with a host in Atlanta with a slightly blemished host cancelation history. Unfortunately during the 3 months between booking & reservation date, there were multiple host cancelations including hers with no explaination. Airbnb was unable (or unwilling…IDK) to assist with finding a new booking during a weekend of multiple pro-ball games, conferences, and home fashion events. She found non-Airbnb accommodations and now will never use Airbnb again.

1 Like

I’m on three booking platforms. I only authorise IB on one of them, and the other two needs approval. Once I get an IB, I update the calendar for the other two, even with delay, there will be no double booking. Once I get enquiry from the other two, I block the dates on the IB platform immediately. If enquiry didn’t turn into booking, I reopen the dates on IB platform. Never had a problem with double booking in this way.

3 Likes

What I really don’t understand is why you decided to cancel VRBO booking. Even if the inquiry did come first, the payment didn’t get through, so it would actually make much more sense to accept Airbnb, properly confirmed reservation and cancel on the VRBO guy. It is also much easier to justify the cancellation when there is a problem with payment.

Yes that would not have prevented my situation from occurring unfortunately. I didn’t do anything wrong or neglect to do something right.