Airbnb has lost billions in value over the last two weeks

I am interested in seeing where it goes too. I doubt that much will change very soon, but I could see it evolving over time. It would take some time to put together a plan that would really work for most hosts for LTR. Perhaps in the aftermath of this mess, it will come up as they rebuild or something. But who knows, everything is also stirred up right now. It would be cool if Chesky came on tomorrow and made it happen…but I’m pretty sure he’s just going to talk about all of the ‘assistance and opportunities’ there are for hosts right now. You got that email, right? They made it sound like they sponsored the stimulus package or something :woman_facepalming:

I’m so sorry to hear about that. Surely it was the last thing you needed right now. It always sucks to have someone else squash your plans. Maybe the 30 days thing will ultimately free up some time for other things for you. I have all LTR right now. I’m filled up until September now. It’s strange and I really miss having “guests”, but there’s a part of me that thinks I might get used to these monthly stays.

Have you thought about doing a min 30 days and a max of whatever you’re comfortable with, maybe 35 days or 60 days? I’ve actually been getting quite a few inquiries for long-term on Airbnb (and had great response on Craigslist). There were some I couldn’t accommodate and a few I just didn’t want but I took a 60 days reservation today. I think I don’t want more than 60 days on Airbnb because there’s not a real security deposit. But I might loosen up on that. There is a kind of a security deposit in my price because I raised the rate enough to compensate for lack of a deposit. If people will still book at those prices, then it might work out.

Another thing Airbnb could do to encourage LTR is to ease up on the acceptance rate. I definitely felt pickier when people started asking for 30+days :wink:

I’m sure it will all work out for you. I wish you the least bumpiest ride possible and all the best.

1 Like

New article on Airbnb losses

• Airbnb lost $674 million last year, which was hundreds of millions of dollars more than it lost in 2018, The Wall Street Journal reported.
  • The online travel company’s revenue jumped 32% year-over-year, but its costs rose even faster, climbing to $5.3 billion.
  • The deterioration in Airbnb’s bottom line came in advance of the coronavirus, which has throttled its business.
  • Airbnb had been seen as a model startup; now, some investors are calling for CEO Brian Chesky’s head and for cost reductions, according to the report.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/airbnbs-losses-swelled-674-million-201027739.html