Airbnb dishonestly experimenting on hosts - bad faith

I’m sorry if I sounded unkind, just trying to state that while K9K wasn’t concerned (which is what I understood from the posts), I still saw the deceit as a concern. I wasn’t trying to be rude. Thanks for your responses. :slight_smile:

I do use VRBO but have never had a booking completed with them yet? I’m not familiar with any other site that competes with ABnB? I would probably not make my own website though. I prefer the umbrella that Airbnb provides and until just recently have been a big fan of the company. I think konacoconutz is correct… sigh. For now, they are the best option out there that I have found.

it’s a deal with the devil in many ways. Sadly.

Ok. Well, be prepared to be frustrated. They don’t care about hosts. Here’s an example:

I just had a cancellation and l just love (sarcasm) the message they attach to the cancellation page. We know you’ve worked hard…take another kick in the knees and get less money!

What if they said instead “We’ll cut our fees and offer 5% off if you’ll offer 5% off for people looking for these dates?” That would win some goodwill but no…it’s your fault you have a flexible cancellation policy and now you should take another hit.

bobbi

1 Like

@Mrsgoodwill, I think you are experiencing a particularly intense form of the phenomenon known as Airbnb Disillusionment. It’s tough but you’ll get through it. It’s akin to being de-radicalised. Their marketing strategies (to hosts and to guests) are very similar to those used by religious cults. Many companies do the same. I cannot remember the name of the book but it’s out there.

1 Like

Yikes, that sucks!!! I didn’t see that when my guest canceled at the holidays! But if I did I would be PISSED!

1 Like

It’s especially hard if you’ve been with them from the beginning and you remember when they loved hosts. They were funky back then but easier to deal with than now.

2 Likes

Well, I ignore most their messages and I certainly don’t take it personally. But it reflects their philosophy. I’m more annoyed by the fact that I have to call to get the pet fee refunded. Because it’s a cancellation there is no record in the resolution center to “send money.” Just part of the job I guess.

How weird. Even if there is a cancellation you can still send money, right?

The pet fee is a separate request so it’s not on the reservation. It’s inconvenient and cumbersome to allow pets but most people it goes well so I keep doing it.

This explains something: I did not see photo and profile of guest. I clearly state I do not accept guest without this. Magically later the photo showed up and the guest said it was there all along. One guy got annoyed, I guess and cancelled his inquiry, but he never answered me back about whether he had a picture there already. If this is the case, i’m Going to stop doing Airbnb.

They are going to stop doing this. You will see their photo after they book. It’s because of the discrimination cases they’ve been battling.

1 Like

Actually I believe they have stopped the practice of hiding the photos altogether. Since that incident, I have been shown the photo of each guest requesting accommodation?

1 Like

They typically will run an A/B test and it will end…but the changes are not necessarily implemented right away if successful.

So in the test they likely wanted to see if not revealing photos will cost them or earn them more revenue. If it’s the former, they won’t make the change. If it’s the latter, then they will eventually implement the changes later down the road

The heartwarming ethics of business, doncha just love it?

3 Likes

I had a guest book today for which there is no photo during the inquiry (he has a dog and I ask for them to inquire not instant book) and no photo after he made the reservation.

I thought a guest had to provide a photo in order to have a profile but admit I can’t keep up with all the changes Airbnb make.

I have it as part of my house rules that guests have to provide a full face photo, and Airbnb did agree to cancel a booking where a guest didn’t do this.

@KKC in your situation I would ask the guest to upload one.

I prefer to see a photo if the guest. I don’t care about their ethnicity, i just want to make sure they’re 25 years of age or older. I don’t want a bunch of teens trashing my house.

1 Like

We are fairly certain that having an age minimum is a violation of Airbnb’s non-discrimination policy. If no prospective guest complains it doesn’t matter but it they do airbnb might delete or suspend you.

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that.