Airbnb :: Changes to Terms and Conditions

I’ve seen folks saying on here they often don’t get email updates etc from Airbnb, so essentially this is for them. This is the update to the T&C’s that you’ll have to agree to (totally separate from any cleaning protocol agreements) by 20th January 2021. I expect there’ll be an info box on the dashboard at some point to do that, or maybe not, I don’t really know how we’re meant to do it.

I think the most impartant updates are in respect of the Extenuating Circumstaces Policy and the Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions.

The links look as though they work, so you can click through to the relevant updated sections.

JF

About the updates to our Terms

Last updated: October 30, 2020

Airbnb’s community and vision for travel continue to grow, so we’ve updated our Terms of Service, Payments Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, Nondiscrimination Policy, Extenuating Circumstances Policy, and some of our other terms and policies (collectively, “ Terms ”).

The updates to our Terms discussed below are effective immediately for new users beginning October 30, 2020. The updated Terms come into effect for existing users on January 20, 2021. On and after January 20, 2021, existing users will be required to agree to the updated Terms before booking or managing listings. All use of the Airbnb Platform from January 20, 2021 onward will be automatically subject to the updated Privacy Policy. As described in more detail below, the changes to our Extenuating Circumstances Policy will apply to reservations beginning on or after January 20, 2021.

Capitalized terms not defined on this page have the same meanings given to them in the Terms.

Updates to the Terms of Service

• We shortened and reorganized the Terms of Service.
  • We created a section with content for guests and a section with content for hosts to make it easier to find information.
  • We updated our United States arbitration agreement.
  • We added new contracting entities and moved information about Airbnb’s entities to a schedule at the end of the Terms of Service.
  • We added Host Privacy Standards outlining rules for how our hosts handle personal information.
  • We added a new section to the Terms of Service that applies to business users located in the European Economic Area (“ EEA ”).

Updates to the Payments Terms of Service

• We separated the Payments Terms of Service into a version that applies to users who live in Switzerland, the UK, or the EEA, and a version that applies to users who live in other countries.
  • We shortened and reorganized the Payment Terms of Service.
  • We updated our United States arbitration agreement.
  • We clarified situations that may result in a decline of your payment method.
  • We clarified situations that may result in a suspension, hold, or delay of your payout.
  • We added details about the timing of payouts for longer stays and hosts in China.
  • We clarified what actions we may take to rectify processing errors.
  • We added information about how payouts work when payouts are split between more than one host.

Updates to the Privacy Policy

• We shortened and reorganized the Privacy Policy. For example, we consolidated information for users in certain jurisdictions (e.g. users who reside outside of the United States and residents of California).
  • We updated the Privacy Policy to reflect changes to Airbnb’s business.
  • We added information about our privacy practices in relation to updated offerings and services.

Updates to the Nondiscrimination Policy

• We updated the Nondiscrimination Policy to expand guidance for gender identity and Airbnb Experiences.

Updates to the Cookie Policy

• We updated the Cookie Policy to clarify how we use cookies and similar technology.

Updates to the Extenuating Circumstances Policy

• We are changing what circumstances are covered by the Extenuating Circumstances Policy. For example, we are removing foreseeable seasonal weather events like hurricanes and individual circumstances like unexpected illness.
  • The existing Extenuating Circumstances Policy will continue to apply to all reservations with a check-in date before January 20, 2021.
  • The updated Extenuating Circumstances Policy will apply to all reservations that begin on or after January 20, 2021.
  • Application of the Policy to COVID-19 is not changing and most COVID-19 related circumstances will continue to be excluded. Learn more.

Updates to the Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions

• We updated the Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions to make them easier to read and understand.
  • We updated the United States arbitration agreement.
  • We changed the Host Guarantee program to exclude certain geographies and services on the Airbnb Platform.

Updates to the Additional Terms for Experience Hosts

• We updated the Additional Terms for Experience Hosts to make them easier to read and understand.
  • We changed our insurance requirements to make hosts’ insurance policies primary coverage for their experiences.
  • We clarified the requirements for hosting as a team or organization.
  • We updated the requirements for social impact experiences.

Common Questions

Here are a few common questions that you may have about this process.

I created my Airbnb account before October 30, 2020. What will happen on January 20, 2021?

Starting from January 20, 2021, users who registered their Airbnb account before October 30, 2020 will be asked to review and agree to the updated Terms. You will have to agree to the updated Terms before you can continue to use your account. If you disagree with the updated Terms, we’ll give you information about your options for completing existing reservations and canceling your account. If you have any questions or encounter any difficulties during this process, please email terms@airbnb.com for assistance. Existing users will not be able to agree to the updated Terms earlier than January 20, 2021.

The updated Privacy Policy will automatically come into effect for all existing users on January 20, 2021. Your continued use of the Airbnb Platform from that day on will be subject to the new Privacy Policy.

I created my Airbnb account on or after October 30, 2020. Which Terms apply to me?

If you registered your Airbnb account on or after October 30, 2020, you already agreed to the updated Terms of Service, Payments Terms of Service, Nondiscrimination Policy, and other terms and policies. Also, your use of the Airbnb Platform is subject to the updated Privacy Policy. The updated Terms apply to you and there is nothing more you need to do.

How do the updated Terms apply to my upcoming confirmed bookings?

The updated Terms will apply to all activities (including existing, confirmed bookings) on the Airbnb Platform from the time you agree to them. If you are an existing user and you do not agree to the new terms, the previous version of the Terms of Service, Payments Terms of Service, and Privacy Policy will continue to apply to bookings you confirmed before January 20, 2021. Regardless of whether you agree to the new Terms, your continued use of the Airbnb Platform from January 20, 2021 on will be subject to the updated Privacy Policy, and all reservations beginning on or after January 20, 2021 are subject to the updated Extenuating Circumstances Policy.

Until February 18, 2021, the existing versions of the Terms can be found at the Terms of Service Archive, Payments Terms of Service Archive, Privacy Policy Archive pages. The updated terms and policies can be found at the Terms of Service, Payments Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, Nondiscrimination Policy, Cookie Policy, Extenuating Circumstances Policy, Host Guarantee Terms and Conditions, and Additional Terms for Experience Hosts pages. Until January 20, 2021, the existing version of the Extenuating Circumstances Policy can be found on the main policy page.

We hope that you found the above information helpful. We’ve highlighted the general nature of the changes, but you should also review the documents in full yourself.

2 Likes

What they say and what they do are two completely different things.

According to their Covid policy they aren’t refunding anyone who booked post March BUT they are refunding in full ALL guests who have been affected by our latest lockdown 5 November to 5 December in the UK who cannot travel.

I don’t object to this, in fact I have been voluntarily giving guests a refund for November as my law I can’t provide accommodation to those who are coming to holiday only those travelling for work.

But feel it’s highly hypocritical to say one thing in their policy and then turn around and do something else. There is also a situation where some guests are having the Airbnb fee returned and others aren’t.

Umm, don’t shoot the messenger here…

JF

1 Like

Hey Guys, new to this forum but not to hosting (since 2006)
What you guys make of this change:

The commission that Airbnb hosts pay to the short-term property rental platform will rise from 3% to 14% from December, while the 13% commission guests pay will be completely waived. This translates into a reduction in the revenues the industry’s leading entity will collect, benefiting users.

This won’t necessarily translate into an additional burden on hosts, as Airbnb is recommending that they pass on the extra cost to guests. This not being mandatory, there may well be some hosts who choose to absorb part or all of the extra charge themselves in order to increase the competitiveness of their assets and improve their occupancy.

The pandemic has changed the landscape in the market of short-term rentals and is set to further increase competition among property hosts. In areas where the supply of properties exceeds demand, it is possible that prices per night will go down for occupancy to grow, which will depend on the policy each host adopts.

Professional managers of property assets tell Kathimerini that this move means Airbnb is reducing its profit margin and revenues in an effort to remain competitive amid the pandemic and to retain its dominant position in the market. Up until end-November, Airbnb will collect 16% commission in total from each leasing, of which 3% will come from the host and 13% from the guest.

Besides the reduced price the guest will pay, there will also be increased transparency in the price: Instead of the various prices and charges, depending on the property, guests will only see one price that will include all charges, commissions and cleaning costs. This is a model tested in the last few months in cooperation with professional property managers which has received positive feedback, so it will be promoted extensively next month.

According to Airbnb, the new system’s pilot application in several European countries led to an increase in bookings. Through the abolition of the commission charge for guests, hosts can manage the price offered themselves.

Industry insiders say that Airbnb’s rival Booking.com uses a similar system, with a 15% commission.

Just got it yesterday , will add link if any interest

1 Like

You know I wasn’t…just pointing out their absolute hypocrisy and how difficult they make life for hosts with their inconsistent approach. :slight_smile:

Aye, I do. Just feeling a bit short tonight.

Apologies.

JF

1 Like

Did you copy and paste this from somewhere? @Abe

We’ve already had quite extensive discussions around this topic.

To be honest the article sounds like a puff piece for Airbnb. I haven’t seen any evidence that Airbnb massively increasing the fee it charges hosts, has led to more booking, or what is actually the issue increased profitability for hosts.

What evidence have you seen that confirms Airbnb increasing host fees by 12% has led to increased profitability for hosts in the pilot area?

No worries at all we all get like that.

I had an amazing whisky based cocktail the other night. Will share the recipe for you I am not a whisky fan by any means but it was lush :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Abe, if you’re going to post random articles, make sure they are factually accurate.

Any host with both a brain and a pulse could tell you what BDC charge, its no secret therefore “industry insiders” are not required.

JF

1 Like

Ooops, was news to me … I’ll look for the thread
JF , I don’t know if the change in commission is accurate , just got it yesterday , and
did not know what to make of it.
Agreed the article have a tint of interested insiders, maybe booking com. baiting
the unwary. I’ve heard they’ll bill as much as they possibly can, but than again only
been with booking .com for 2 month, years ago.
Link to the article : https://www.ekathimerini.com/258712/article/ekathimerini/business/airbnb-levy-waived-for-guests

1 Like
1 Like

If anyone wants to discuss the changes to the commission rates, the topic is here:

Thanks @Brian_R170

JF

Always a good idea to use the search function to find existing threads, helps prevent duplication and confusion :slight_smile:

1 Like

If only you were on 5th Avenue :wink:

3 Likes

Abe, I appreciate your questions and discussion. This thread has been helpful to me.

I am attempting to document TOS/ECP changes that Airbnb has put out to hosts throughout the past couple of years. Specifically changes in verbiage, definitions, and other things. However I am unable to the TOS and ECP version from March of 2019. Does anyone have a screenshot or copy of the documents from that time? Would you be willing to post them?

Airbnb scrubs past policies from searches, I have found. So yes, it’s necessary to have screenshots.

1 Like

I just got an email about the next round of changes that must be agreed to by April 22nd.

Up to date topic regarding latest changes here:

JF