Airbnb Beta Testing "City Host" - very interesting but REALLY!

My husband called Airbnb to find out the details of being a City Host. You do set your own price.

What about insurance?

1 Like

I don’t know. He decided not to do it. I don’t fret about insurance as much as others on this board. It is true that by law anyone can sue anyone for anything. The reality is that unless it will be taking place in Small Claims Court or the plaintiff is an attorney, the plaintiff will have to find an attorney who will take the case. I don’t think many attorneys think it’s profitable to sue individual homeowners over small losses especially since the attorney would have to prove negligence on the part of the homeowner. Also, most guests are not local, so they’d have to disrupt their schedules and travel for the court appearances.

You should also have a commercial drivers license. In my city you can’t transport people for money without one.

1 Like

Let say you have a car accident with guests. I am not sure you can be cover by your insurance on this case or?

1 Like

If we decided to be City Hosts and drove guests in our car, I would ask my auto insurer if we were covered. We also have a one million dollar personal umbrella policy. I have it in writing from my insurance broker that my Airbnb guests are covered by both my homeowner policy and my personal umbrella policy.

Check also if it’s covering if you are outside your property

1 Like

That’s the kicker right there - not a guest suing you because they were unhappy with your service. Bodily injury or harm. If you’re hosting without liability that covers paying guests you are taking a huge risk.

1 Like

I think that if Airbnb guests were suing hosts willy nilly there would be some news coverage about the lawsuits as there seems to be news coverage every time a guest squats or hosts a large party. When I Google “Airbnb guests suing hosts” all I get is coverage of the discrimination suits against Airbnb.

When I stayed in Salzburg, Austri in 1998 I stayed in a BnB I found listed in a book (maybe the one @konacoconutz writes for). It said the the owner of the house will come pick you up when you arrive at the train station. Sure enough, in her BMW. She showed us where to catch the bus, where it would leave us and a few other things as we made our way back to the house. It was awesome.

There is a host here in my town the offers walking tours of our sister city, Juarez, MX. The home is downtown and they walk from the house over to Mexico. He charges and it says so in the Air listing. Air is probably just trying to get a cut of what is already going on.

2 Likes