Airbnb backing the guest over host

Very rediculous!!
I had the similar experience …
when my guest came in i gave hime a tour of evrything including the Fire Alarm silence button and told him use the button if sth happened and set off alarm … the day after my guest put some eggs to boil and went sleep … the eggs burnt and fire alam starts beeping but he just ignores to press the silence button … until fire fighters come in while he was in the bedroom … they have charged me $1200 and airbnb believes it is NOT the guest’s responsibility to cover that!!! I don’t know what to say and what to do … !!!

3 Likes

Hi Bparsa, I’m sorry to hear this happened to you. I’m very afraid similar things would happen to me so I put a careful instruction telling guests what to do if fire alarm is set off by cooking (no real fire). I also said if guest didn’t silent it in such case, they need to pay for the bill.
Now I’m worried the instruction is useless, and if such thing occurs at my property, and guest refuses to pay, Airbnb will side with them :frowning:

3 Likes

It might be that you need to put better ventilation in the kitchen, or move smoke alarm. I had problems like this and ventilation helped.

How could it possibly not be the guest’s fault if they fell asleep while cooking? That is extremely dangerous behaviour!

5 Likes

You cannot imagine that i had also a clear instruction and the location of the silence button in my house info section!!! It is rediculous that still Airbnb believe it s not the guest’s fault! …
It was in my house info and i showed him in person … he was in the bedroom and just ignored the annoying beep … until neighbours call the management and they comes in!!! Still Airbnb believe it s not his responsibilitiy!!!
I believe u should increase the deposit value and never ever set up instant booking, so you would be able to choose right guests!

1 Like

Specially when u give them an in-person tour about this button and advise them to press it if sth happened!! It’s location is also in my house info!!!

Still airbnb is letting them to escape from their clear fault!!

1 Like

If my guest had tried to turn it off or asking me how to do it i would say u r right …
he fully ignored it untill smoke reached the common area of the building and activated the main fire alarm which will inform fire department automatically !!!

Hi @Bparsa, again I feel so sorry you have to go through this sh*t situation. We don’t have enough protection by renting our property on Airbnb. Many areas are grey and no clear law to protect hosts/guests in many countries. I feel your pain because im currently dealing with an unreasonable and lying guest, and Airbnb asked me to provide many documents and some are impossible to obtain without spending $200-300 in my country, the thing is the damaged dryer only cost $398, and two out of the three service person I contacted suggested me to get a new dryer, don’t bother fixing the old one (Australian labour cost is very expensive).

I think we as host, have to eat the cost sometimes when irresponsible guests rent our property. I do IB because it improves my booking significantly. I require all guests with good reviews to be able to IB my place. Many guests from IB are actually good, but bad ones can still be there, because they could be nice guests until accidents happen. You can’t discover how bad a person can be before you have to open a case against them.

We either bear with all the unfairness or we quit. But I believe things will become better and laws covering short term rental will be refined.